TIP: Working with Task-Shopping Lists in Drafts

Task lists with tappable task marks are easy to create in Drafts. This article is focused on how some features of Drafts can be used in combination to make it easier to check of items on lists. If you have ever hit the grocery store with a list of items in a notes app (Drafts, Apple Notes, or others), you know there can be some real annoyances to trying to use that list at the store to get your shopping done. If these sound familiar, this article is for you:

• Oops, I meant to tap the checkbox, not edit the note!
  • Dang it, my phone went to sleep again. Lets do the Face/Touch ID dance to wake it up and check off “Bananas”.

With a few simple tweaks in Drafts, these annoyances can go away.

TIP: If you start working with lists and tasks, you may find it useful to also familiarize yourself with actions for working with lines and blocks of text.

Creating Task Lists

The Drafts editor supports simple text-based tasks using square brackets. In either the Markdown or Simple List syntaxes, simply typing [ ] (open bracket, space, close bracket) creates a tappable task mark.

Drafts also ships with a convenience action called “Tasks” in the “Editing” action group, the default action group for the action bar. This action can be reinstalled from the Action Directory if you have deleted it. The “Tasks” action behaves similarly to the checkbox button in the default Apple Notes app, creating or removing task marks at the beginning of each line in the selected text. This action makes it easy to convert a typed list to tappable tasks. If no text is selected, it simply converts the current line.

Using the “Simple List” Syntax

Most users keep drafts in the default “Markdown” syntax. This works great for lists, but Drafts allows syntax to be selected on a per-note basis - and each syntax option saves its preferred editor settings (font, font size, margins, etc.) separately. If you change the syntax to “Simple List” for the drafts you use as a list, you can set up a custom configuration optimized for checking off items. By using a larger font and line height, the task marks become bigger targets on the screen and easier to tap. To change syntax:

• Open your list drafts in the editor.
  • Select “Aa” appearance settings.
  • Select the Syntax Highlighting option for the current draft, and change it to “Simple List”.
  • Make any changes to the editor settings you find are best for working with the list.

BONUS TIP: When using the “Simple List” syntax, three-state tasks are also supported by using curly braces, like { }, {-}, and {x}. When tapped, the step through three states instead of just on-off states. Great for tracking an an additional status, like in a Gift shopping list to keep up with items you have ordered, vs. those you have received.

Pinning and Link Mode

Two of Drafts options are also helpful when working with a list:

• Pinning: Pinning the current draft disables the automatic creation of new drafts. This means the current draft will remain active when returning to the app. If you are working on a list, checking off items over time, returning to the same list can be very handy.
  • Link Mode: The primary purpose of link mode is to enable tapping on web links, emails, and other data in a draft. It also disables editing of a draft while active. This means that an accident tap that misses the task mark will not show the keyboard and start editing - which can be pretty annoying if you are currently just checking off tasks.

Device Sleep

iOS tries hard to make your battery last all day, which is excellent. To do so, it automatically dims the screen and then puts your device to sleep after no interaction occurs for some time. When it does this, however, returning to what you were doing requires you to wake up the device and unlock it using Touch/Face ID or by entering your pin. Sometimes, it’s handy to disable the sleep timer so your device will stay awake, and working on a list is one of those times. If you are at the store or just using the phone as a handy checklist next to you on the desk, disabling sleep allows you to quickly check off the next item on the list without the extra hassle of waking up the device and re-authenticating.

Enabling or disabling system sleep is done via script, but you can install this ready-to-use Toggle Sleep action to switch it off and on.

Putting it all together: Shopping Mode

tasks-shopping-mode

Taken together, each of these tweaks is handy - but no one wants to get to the grocery store and tap 4-5 different things to get where they can start checking off their list. That’s why we put together an all-in-one action:

This action will pin the current draft, enter link mode, and disable the system sleep timer all at once - getting you all ready to work on your list at once.

23 Likes

That’s a fantastic Best Practice writeup, many thanks!!!

2 Likes

simple list mode would be nice on the Apple Watch. :wink:

Great Action! Thank you.
Is it possible to change font size while enabling or disabling

Not currently.

The font is tied to the draft format, so unless you switch formats and have a larger font ascribed to a format in your settings it won’t change. There’s currently no way to apply changes to a mode shift.

1 Like

It has occurred to me that Arrange Mode is handy for shopping lists…

… It would enable the user to arrange the list items in store order.

I don’t often use shopping lists now but I remember it being a pain if the (paper) shopping list was in some random order relative to the store. With Drafts we have the chance to correct that.

1 Like

This is very neat!

3 related neewb questions:

can one add via watch dictation to that specific grocery list new items (tasks)?

can one use just the watch while shopping to mark done items purchased on the list?

can one share this list with a no ios using spouse :)?

thx again!

Z

1 Like

Yes. See the page about Apple Watch, and note the append option.

No. Only options are append and prepend. Not edit.

Only a static version via e-mail or the like.

As a tangential approach, what you could do is use a third party service like Todoist, which is cross-platform, allows for shared to do lists between users, can be populated from Drafts (search the action directory), and has an Apple watch app where you can check off items on the shared list. It’s even compatible with voice activated assistants like the Amazon echo. :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps of interest: I use the free version of Anylist with my partner. I capture the list using dictate on Drafts, then use an action to send it to Anylist which easily syncs across to her device. Pretty seamless.

thx @sylumer and @aroddick

these are both excellent tips

appreciate the help!

Z

@aroddick
i was looking for the send it to anylist action but couldn’t find it on the draft5 action directory:

i did see it for drafts4. will that work? Do you have one for drafts 5?

thx

Z

Yes this one works well - https://drafts4-actions.agiletortoise.com/a/1iJ I have versions for different stores. The best part about anylist is that it automatically sorts according to kind of item.

Hello, I cannot access this, did you convert it for use with Drafts 5? Would you mind sharing it?

Just wanted to bring to your attention the Focus Mode and Link Mode links following the paragraph above are broken.

Thanks, updated those links.

Is there a way to move the item once checked to the bottom of the list

One thing I’m looking for is a bulleted list that, instead of numbers, shows the days of the week. For instance:

Sunday. Tacos
Monday. Pasta
Tuesday. Chicken

etc etc

1 Like

So really what you want is what in some markup languages is called a “simple list”. Except you don’t as you want inserting an item in the middle to bump the day names.

But I don’t think there is a Markdown semantic for this directly.

You could try

01 Sunday: Tacos
02 Monday: Pasta
03 Tuesday: Chicken

or something similar which should create a sortable list.

In a script, I had to sort some lines in a specific order according to an array of emoticons.

I’ve modified it to sort lines with days.

Hope it helps, Stephen.

1 Like