TIP: Batch Operations with "Select > Operations"

[UPDATE: See updated version of this post]

The drafts and action lists allow selection of multiple items. Once selected the you can perform one of many operations on the selections.

To enter select mode, tap the “Select” button at the bottom of the draft or action list. Checkboxes appear to indicate current selections.

You can also tap and hold the “Select” button to select all drafts currently displayed in the list.

Once you have made selections, tap “Operations” and you will be prompted to choose one of the available operations. In the drafts list, these include items to do things like:

• Move the selected drafts to the archive or trash.
  • Add or remove tags from all selected drafts.
  • Merge the selected drafts into one longer draft.
  • Run an action on all the selected drafts.

In the action list, options include moving to copying actions between action groups.

5 Likes

Thanks for this. I take it when you select Run Action it treats each draft individually and doesn’t coalesce the text.

My use case for this would be to take all the selected drafts, sort them in update time stamp descending, merge them, and then add them to an external file, archiving the originals.

I’m not sure with my use case if that would have to be some kind of custom merge of the drafts and then run a single action to add to an external file.

(This is a daily log, of course, with a fresh draft for each day.)

Thoughts on how Batch could help?

Yes, “Run Action” in operations will execute the action against each selected draft in the order they were selected.

An action could be written that was smart enough to read your existing journal file and insert the draft in the properly location based on some kind of timestamps in the file, rather than just appending to the end.

Or you could start at an action that used a query of drafts to find and sort them and append them as a batch.

1 Like

How can perform an action on multiple selections on Mac?Thanks.