Evernote Mac app drops AppleScript support

To follow-up on previous comments about regressions in Evernote’s new iOS app, their new Mac app is out (list as version 10) and it drops AppleScript support.

If you use any Evernote integration actions which rely on AppleScript, they will no longer function once you update your Evernote app.

Direct integration steps with the Evernote action step (iOS only) continue to function, at least for now.

4 Likes

For the moment, there is an “Evernote Legacy” app which does allow AppleScript. It looks like you can have this installed at the same time as the new one: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I’ve not seen any commitment from Evernote to reintroducing AppleScript so this may only be a short reprieve. It looks like the python SDK still works, but hasn’t been developed for quite a while

They actually sent out an announcement email to developers - the first directly communication they have sent out about anything developer related during this whole transition - but the communication was pretty vague…

“We expect most API/SDK integrations to continue to work with these new apps. While no changes have been made to our API, please be aware that there are a handful of features—such as AppleScript, import folders, and possibly some 3rd party entry points—that are not yet available.”

“We expect” and “possibly some” are not phrases which inspire confidence that they even know what they did and did not break. :man_shrugging:t2:

I think they probably hope to replace their integration SDKs with an industry-standard REST API at some point, but at the rate they have been going, that might be years away. It’s clear they have no intention of fixing their iOS SDK, which currently would be rejected by Apple if used as-is and has a broken authentication process for some of their users.

Thanks for that. We’ll see. I’d say the whole redevelopment saga for Evernote has not inspired confidence that they understand development or their user base. I’d really like to find an alternative that works for my set up, but haven’t quite found anything yet, so the legacy app keeps it going for me in the short-term