Evernote iOS app removes URL scheme support

For those that use Evernote with Drafts, be aware that the update to their iOS app that was released September 15, 2020, no longer supports the URL schemes or x-callback-urls supported by previous versions of their app.

I have yet to find any specific mention of this from Evernote, so I’m not clear if this is a bug, and oversight, or a planned change. It’s possible they plan to add that support back to the app in the future, but it seems the rewrote the app from the ground up and did not include this feature in the rewrite.

Actions that use direct integration via the Evernote action step do still work on iOS, at least for now.

If you are not sure which type of Evernote actions you use, simply put the ones that stay in Drafts will work. Ones that launch the Evernote app will no longer work. The Evernote app still registers the evernote:// URL scheme, so it will launch, but nothing happens after it launches.

Evernote has not been very transparent about its integration plans moving forward, no longer supports their iOS integration SDK, and has ignored attempts to contact them regarding issues. Evernote integration on iOS continues to work because we have put in the effort to fork and update their SDK ourselves.

Drafts has a long history with Evernote, and we’d love to continue to support it, but it’s pretty unclear what that may look like when they are not communicating. If you are an Evernote user, and would like to see it continue to integrate with other apps and services, I highly recommend you let them know that it’s important to you through the support channels.

4 Likes

That sounds really bad.
Another reason to leave the Evernote wagon?

But thank you for your great information gathering.

2 Likes

This turned me into a DEVONThink customer. Bought DT and DT2go. Canceled my Evernote sub, deleted their apps from all my devices.

5 Likes

EDIT: See end of this reply!

Wow. Thanks for the digging. This is appalling.

And worse still, I raised a ticket with Evernote and they wanted to troubleshoot why URLs weren’t opening. No Evernote, URL SCHEMES.

Support don’t even know their own product.

5 November 2020 16:06 AEST::
I finally got this from Evernote today, nearly a month after I raised it! I did chuckle when the agent said that this is not a normal delay. After 11 years with evernote, she’s right. It’s a pretty fast response!

> Xxxxxx X. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Nov 4, 2020, 7:26 PST

Hi Xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support. My name is Xxxxx, and I’ll be assisting you for today.

I would like to apologize for the delayed response as we have been working through a larger than normal ticket volume. Please know that this is not typically the experience you should expect and we hope to return to our standard wait time as soon as possible.

I have verified with our Development team this issue, when tapping on the URL Scheme link you get a zero response.

I apologize for the inconvenience you experience with the new Evernote app for iOS device.

We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. This feature is on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

Should there be a need for further assistance, I want you to know that our team will always be available to help you.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxx X.
Customer Support Representative

I switched to DEVONthink Pro over the summer and never looked back. Better ways of getting information in and out, automation and some AI, and best of all, no monthly subscription fee. Plays well with Drafts (and the rest of my Multimarkdown tool chain.)

1 Like

Well, I just went back to Basic User on Evernote. Partly because of this - they obviously don’t “get” Automation - but also because I got reminded my sub was up in a few days.

1 Like