TIP: Shortcut to Dictation for Apple Watch Ultra's Action Button

First, there are no APIs for double-tap. Anything double-tap does Apple implements, developers don’t have anyway to assign anything to it.

Second, even if there was a way for developers to use double-tap, it would not be applicable here because dictation on watchOS is a system-level function. Apps just tell watchOS they would like text input, and watchOS pops up the input sheet run by watchOS, in a totally separate process from the app, and then hands back the text to the app after the “done” button pressed, so there would be no way for me to intervene there.

Hopefully, that is something Apple decides is worth changing.

1 Like

This is great! Thank you. For me, when I run it using the action button on the Ultra 2, after each recording, I am prompted with ‘Allow “Dictate 2 Drafts” to copy to the clipboard?’, then ‘Allow “Dictate 2 Drafts” to share 1 Speech Recognition with “Drafts”?’ Even when I tap “Always Allow” on the second question, I still get both prompts every time. I reset the privacy settings for the shortcut on the iPhone, but that didn’t change anything. Is there a fix for this?

While I’m asking questions, can a step be added to the shortcut that takes it back to the Home Screen after completing the shortcut? I am left on the Shortcuts screen after completion.

Thanks!!!

Did you try doing this?

I’m afraid I haven’t figured a way to get it to return Home. Sorry.

Thank you. I checked the dictation language, and it is already English (US). If I figure it out, I’ll post again.

I had this problem as well. kept me from using it. I think I just solved it. I ran the shortcut ONCE on my iphone and did the Always Allow there for the 2 prompts that showed every time (clipboard and paste dictation text). Now it works on watch without prompting. It seems like the decisions made from watch side aren’t “sticky” but they are on the iphone.

4 Likes

Thank you, @BobMNH !!! That worked for me, as well.

I must thank you for this tip. I run beta and every time a new beta would come I would check to see if clicking always allow on the watch would stick and it never did. Came back here to see if anyone figured out a solution. Glad I did. Thanks! My action button is now useful.

1 Like