Role Picker for Drafts/Obsidian Atomic Journaling

I’ve been getting in to “atomic journaling” lately. Basically just write something down as it happens.

I tag each entry with a “role” I play in my life (dad, partner, maker, manager, etc…).

I created a Drafts action (with some Javascript help from ChatGPT and some formatting help from this forum) that lets me just create a Draft for each line by speaking into my Watch or phone, or typing on any device.

It’s pretty simple - the Script just gets the contents from a Draft where I list my Roles, splits the draft into individual buttons, and when I pick one, it sets a template tag variable to that text.

Step 2 is the append to file action step that adds the data to my Obsidian daily note in a line formatted as a Markdown table row with the time the draft was created, the entry, and the role tag.

It’s really sped up my journaling, and has encouraged me to write more things down.

Drafts Picker:
CleanShot 2024-03-12 at 09.54.21

What it looks like in Obsidian:
CleanShot 2024-03-12 at 09.56.18

Action is here: Atomic Journal | Drafts Directory

5 Likes

Thanks for this! I was wondering if something like this was possible. Would you mind posting the JS you used to achieve this action?