Questions/Suggestions for Drafts for Mac Beta

If a selection of text in Safari is shared to Drafts beta on macOS from the Safari Share menu on the toolbar, the entry in Drafts is block quoted and includes the URL for the source page.

If the same text selection is shared to Drafts beta from the Share menu in the Safari contextual menu, the entry in Drafts only contains the text, no blockquote, and no URL.

Is this intended?

That is system behavior. Same is true on iOS. The share sheet only gets the text if you share a selection directly. If you use the Safari share button, the share sheets gets access to the host page and can retrieve other information - like link/title.

I was unclear. In both cases the text selection is shared.

Suggestion for tags: drag to reorder.

Tag order probably doesn’t matter much, but scanning down a list of drafts it might be helpful, and dragging tags in the editor would be easier than deleting and re-entering a tag.

After viewing an inbox item, the text is turned dark blue, presumably to highlight drafts which have been recently accessed. I can see this might be useful to some users, but I’d prefer to be able to turn that feature off. Firstly, it’s distracting, and secondly it looks horrible on my display. It possibly looks crisp on a retina screen, but on mine it just looks blurry.

Not a biggie, obvs.

Absolutely, this! I’d love an option for menu bar only. I close the main window most of the time and use a keyboard shortcut for a new draft when I need it. Still see the Drafts app icon in the list when I CMD-Tab though. Be great to hide it.

1 Like

Reordering tags in the editor is working now, thanks!

Ah, I spoke too soon. It seems it only works when adding new tags. Existing tags still can’t be rearranged.

A small UX thing but every time I go to switch Workspaces, I click on the current Workspace name and it does nothing (of course).

It’s not intuitive for me to click above it on the Workspaces pulldown – since it’s next to a search bar it always seems connected to search context.

IMO less friction if that select was merged with the current Workspace name.

59%20PM

Same on iOS for me. I wish tapping on it would bring up the list.

(Not that it helps you but) I set Ctrl+w in Keyboard Maestro to bring up the list of workspaces and then it’s first character navigation to get to the one I want.

The ability to “sort flagged to top” in “All” view (like that available on iOS version) would be helpful. Thanks.

Something I think I’d use a lot: a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch from one workspace to another, either by using ⌘-<SOMETHING> (and via a command palette à la vscode and others) or by using ⌘-<NUMBER> to open workspace #.

What I like with the command palette idea: it can be a nice interface to all available shortcuts in the application and help people finding the features.

1 Like

Have you tried e.g. Alfred or Keyboard Maestro to simulate this?

I bring up the list of workspaces with a KM macro and first-character navigate - but your UI idea is probably better.

Wouldn’t this be possible in any case once actions are implemented… which I believe is very much on the roadmap for the Mac client? Maybe helper apps like KM are the mid-term gaffer tape approach?

2 Likes

Is there a reason why you have to save the quick capture window before the file gets saved to Drafts? I would find it more convenient if anything I write in there just gets added to my list of drafts immediately.

I was assuming the gaffer tape approach was what is called for here.

Still, it points to at least one piece of the automation model that is definitely required. (I’m sorry I don’t have the time to check if it’s in the iOS automation model though I do recall some discussions (I was involved in) about souping up Workspace therein.)

Could the Preview command be a toggle?

Right now Show Preview is option-command-p, but closing the preview is command-w. I’m a writer, not a programmer, so the only window I think of closing is the one I’m writing.

The show-preview and close-preview command is command-R on ia Writer, and my fingers are having a hard time changing.

+1 on this feature request as well!

I know this is an older thread, but this use would be a great feature, particularly for those of us that use Drafts as a quick entry tool. I have multiple apps that can be hidden from the Dock and thus the switcher which is the real desire I have and exist only in the menu bar.