Linking text within a draft

Yeah— I’m not sure if this is useful in the context of your requirements (having seen the conversation move on as it has), and I’m not sure whether I’ve fully understood what it is you’re trying to achieve, but just for the sake of following up:

I use both wiki-links to create connections between drafts and inline tags as references I can filter. I default to inline tags when I want to have the ability to link together a series of “blocks” without the necessity of a titled draft to pull them all together, which was what I thought you were trying to achieve…

Looking at your most recent post, as @sylumer says, it:

… which makes me think of MOCs (or Maps Of Content). Posting this video in case it’s useful. Although it references Obsidian, the methodology is pretty much transferable…

I got the bit about level 1 and level 2 Markdown headings - you are right, there is no need for subsections. I have managed to do what I wanted. Last of all, can you explain this part?

This might be useful in another context, but I didn’t fully understand it.

YOur illustration about inline and wiki-links was mighty useful. It means I can now link from any draft to any other draft and that is pretty powerful. I hadn’t realized that the functionality has existed for a while already. The obsidian video is also good for idea generation. The problem with all these Obsidian and Roam kinds is that just dumping information into them is useless unless you tag and reference it properly. The manner in which drafts functionality has been expanding, I think it is a solution all by itself. Thanks for chiming in and for the help.

1 Like

Glad that helped in some way.

Agreed. Of course: different people, different needs, different workflows, and there are reasons for Obsidian’s/Logseq’s/Roam’s/(etc)'s popularity, but for my personal use case (predominantly iOS, ideally not dependent on a web app, preference for easy interoperability with other iOS apps) Drafts rules.

No app is a magic bullet. It’s how we use them that makes the difference…

1 Like

Let me see if I can roughly break down the above into more detail and walk you through it?

“the “Strategy” only contains links to the “Trading Strategies” draft”

You have two drafts:

1. “Trading Strategies”, containing sets of information in headed sections.
  2. “Strategy”, containing links to headings in the “Trading Strategies” draft.

“it looks very much like you are building something like a table of contents”

For me, a table of contents for a draft would list all headings in a draft, in order. In the same way as a table of contents for a book would list all sections or chapters.

“a table of contents that links through to specific points in the “Trading Strategies” draft. If so, and you wanted to include all sections, in order,”

If your “Strategy” draft was intended to contain all headings in order for the headed sections in the “Trading Strategies” draft, and nothing else, the “Strategy” draft could be described as a table of contents for the “Trading Strategies” draft.

“it would be straight forward to create an action that builds that into a draft”

It would be possible to create an action to (re-)populate the “Strategy” draft with links to the section headings of the “Trading Strategies” draft. If you search the forum for “table of contents” there are a variety of discussions where “table of contents” comes up. Therefore, if you wanted to do something like this, rather than starting from scratch, you might be able to build on other solutions, or draw inspiration from them.

“or even a pop-up prompt that allows you to jump to a specific section”

Rather than using the “Strategy” draft, it would also be possible to create an action that could allow you to generate and present a list of links (as links or buttons) in a prompt (advanced gives you lots of options, or standard gives you buttons or a drop down - but that’s then like the navigation option in the editor). This could be for the current draft, or specifically for the “Trading Strategies” draft (allowing you to jump in from anywhere). This is what I was referring to by way of a pop-up prompt.

Any clearer?

Absolutely clear. Many thanks, I really appreciate all the help.

Ok. With your help, I have done what I wanted. So, a sample extract is:

Trading Strategies - Market Wizards

Panic

• [ ] 1. One has to be able to think clearly and act in a panic market. The markets that go wild are the ones with the best opportunities. Traditionally, what happens in a market that goes berserk is that even veteran traders will tend to stand aside. That is your opportunity to make money. As the saying goes: if you can keep your head about you while others are losing theirs, you can make a fortune. (the joke is that it ended with … then you haven’t heard the news) [[Opportunity]]

Volatility

• [ ] 2. When the volatility expands dramatically, the [[Opportunity]] for profit in arbitrage are greatly enhanced.

Druckenmiller

• [ ] 3. The flexibility of Druckenmiller’s style - going short as well as long and also diversifying into other major global markets (bonds and currencies) - is obviously a key element of his success. [[Strategic Insights]]

Planning a Trade

• [ ] 4. Another question we should ask is: 'How should we put on a trade idea? The way a trade is implemented can be more important than the trade idea itself. (For example: using treasuries instead of the pound when Brexit happened). [[Strategic Insights]]

Trade Execution

• [ ] 5. The basic feature that causes all other problems in trading is that most traders have No Trading Plan and that leads to poor execution. This is the basic thing that differentiates losing traders from winning traders. Once an effective trading plan has been developed, it is critical to convince the subconscious mind of the new reality. The greater the harmony between the conscious and the subconscious mind, the better the chance for success. [[Strategic Insights]]

Pain

• [ ] 6. One needs courage and the ability to take pain, there is a lot of pain. [[Temperament]]

Trading Halts

• [ ] 7. If there is any trading halt due to volatility, he wants to be long at the halt, that is what the history books show is the best strategy. [[Strategic Insights]]

Money

• [ ] 8. Good money management with a poor strategy can only ensure that you lose money more slowly. And, of course a good system with poor management can lose money. [[Money Management]]

In the above the words within the [[square brackets]] are my context headings. I have 9 such context headings from all my 150 odd points. If I select a context heading, Say [[Opportunity]] it shows me the links to my main note, where I can read it. Is there some way I can get the text of the note to show up? So, to illustrate, in point number 1 above, I go to the note titled [[Opportunity]] and I can see the link, but is there some way it will show me the quoted text as well, which in this case is: “1. One has to be able to think clearly and act in a panic market. The markets that go wild are the ones with the best opportunities. Traditionally, what happens in a market that goes berserk is that even veteran traders will tend to stand aside. That is your opportunity to make money. As the saying goes: if you can keep your head about you while others are losing theirs, you can make a fortune. (the joke is that it ended with … then you haven’t heard the news)”

I tried the ‘Transclude’ action, but that is not what I want.

It looks like you are not using the section links, only links to the draft, and you said you were okay with manually maintaing the duplicated data but have not done so.

If you do both of those things, as previously discussed, that should give you what you requested.

Linking to Markers Within a Draft

in the documentation is what you’re referring to? I didn’t get BOTH, I have used the section headers as in # and ##, what else is there? So, my [[opportunity]] draft looks like this:

Opportunity

[[Trading Strategies - Market Wizards/Panic]]

[[Trading Strategies - Market Wizards/Volatility]]

[[Trading Strategies - Market Wizards/Despite…]]

[[Trading Strategies - Market Wizards/Bad News]]

Once I click on these, I get the text. That is great. Now, if I also want the text in the [[Opportunity]] draft as well, is there an action for that?

That’s where the manual maintenance would come in.

I asked about automating to keep data in sync.

You noted that you did not need to have this ongoing. Therefore any sync would need to be manually managed.

But…

… maybe you just need a different transclusion action(s)? See my suggestion on this thread.

You’re referring to these:

• TAD-Embed a Draft - this shows the links, but doesn’t show the text beneath the link.

• TAD-Refresh Embeds of this Draft

• TAD-Refresh Embeds in this Draft

Yes I am, and yes it would.

The first one would transclude the draft content you select. It inserts the content and details of where the content was sourced from so as to enable refreshing.

The second and third ones provide ways to refresh the content, based on if you are in the source draft or the referencing draft respectively.

Thanks and I’m glad it does. I tried it, it doesn’t seem to work that way. Obviously I’m doing something wrong. What happens is that, continuing with the above example, once I run TAD-Embed a Draft action, it embeds the ENTIRE draft, not just the one points that have [[Opportunity]]. So, if that is the way it is supposed to work, then it’s ok. But, I thought that it will only embed the relevant ones. So, if you can clarify that, or if there is someway of embedding a selection, then it would be awesome. Thanks a ton.

1 Like

As a devoted user of Drafts I admit to not using it for everything. In this case I think that you are trying to force fit something into Drafts that can be done much more easily elsewhere. One option is Roam, which is designed to handle problems like this. But, Roam is relatively expensive, so Logseq - which is free - may be a better choice. I’m going to try and attach three screenshots from Logseq.

The first shows a Daily Note Page that has entries I took from your postings - each referencing one of your areas of interest. In the first entry I added several layers of indentation, just to show how that works.

The second shows the page “Strategic Insights”. The top entry was made directly onto that page. The others are “linked references” from the Daily Note Page. The first of those entries demonstrates that a page reference applied to a top level applies as well to indented information below it. Block and child blocks in Logseq and Roam lingo.

Using Logseq, entries can be made on any page and – if referenced to a different page (as I did with the Daily Note Page) – they will all be collected on the referenced page as linked references.

The third screenshot shows a so-called Map of Content, or structured note in Zettelkasten-speak. It is a page on which links to pages devoted to individual areas of interest are placed. Its purpose is to simplify navigation.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 8.14AM

1 Like

Thanks. This is useful for sure. If logseq is free, what’s the catch? I went to the website and it seems that it combines the features of Roam and Obsidian and costs zero. Not that I mind, but just wondering …

Okay, sorry, yes - it will do the entire draft. To embed a section, you would need to build out those actions further to distinguish parts of a draft. E.g., a navigation marker, line number, or a physical marker you include such as the number in a list, or a delimiter.

Cool. I knew Roam supported block level transclusion, but I had always equated Logseq more towards Obsidian territory. I didn’t realise it had support for block level transclusion.

Ok. Last question, is there any Action that I can use to SORT my draft based on the words that I’ve put in the [square brackets]? That’ll make things easier for me and I can then try Logseq as suggested by the other gentleman.

Logseq is open source software. I don’t know of any catch. Obsidian is also free for personal use.

I should have pointed out another advantage. You can reference an entry to more than one page - the same entry can appear on several different pages.

Not seen one. But, you are specifying something pretty bespoke. You could certainly create one.

If you parse the main content and the links into arrays, you could apply this and replace the content.

But depending upon how you apply numbering to your items, you might either need to standardise on 1., or renumbered too.

https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#list