Folding Text / Collapsable Headers

I use both and Sublime Text on the Mac for various reasons, but remember Drafts does many things that they others do not. Anyone who has used Word or Editorial, has likely benefitted from being able to collapse sections of a file for an overview, or to bring several sections on screen at once which are separated by other sections (contracted).

I think the issue is that this feature is non-trivial to implement into the existing app, not least because of all the other functionality that would have to be updated to work with it rather than against it.

I’d love to see it added one day, but I expect it will be a while yet before it makes it towards the top of Greg’s big features list.

It might be useful to emulate some of Ulysses’ functionality. Many people write long documents in Ulysses, splitting the article among “sheets” to keep movement up and down the article manageable. When the article is ready to go elsewhere, the sheets (i.e., sections) are merged.

I think that something similar could be done with existing functionality in Drafts. Assume that I was writing a longish article for a magazine or for a training course that was titled “Housebreaking a Dog.” I already have a workspace called “Writing” and I could use it to create another workspace, “Writing - Housebreaking.” Only drafts associated with the housebreaking article would get the “Writing -Housebreaking” tags.

I’d create a draft for each section, starting only with the titles:

1. Introduction
  2. Before the Puppy Comes Home
  3. First Night
  4. Schedules
  5. Rewards
  6. Cleanup Methods

I would include temporary numbers in front of the titles to keep the drafts properly sorted in the list view. If I wanted to get fancy I could add links to facilitate movement – knowing that, like the temporary numbers in the title, they would also be removed at the end.

When the article was finished and ready to send elsewhere I would use the existing Drafts’ merge capability to create a single document, removing the title numbering after the merge. Finally, I’d add a title to the top of the merged document, causing the former titles to become section headers.

I probably forgot one or two key steps - or chose inefficient ones - but I think the basic concept is sound and would work pretty much the same as it does in Ulysses.

2 Likes

Drafts new Wiki-Style links might be an interesting way to solve it.

It might be a medium level to generate action scripts that “fold” the headings in their own draft.

Though it is not the same as a folding/unfolding in a regular editor or IDE.

Agree, and it would be particularly useful if you were able to open a second window holding a “table of contents” with either title or section links - or some combination, permitting you to, in effect, have a permanently enabled folded view of the long document available for navigation. The downside is that you have to create it.

3 Likes

Any updates on this?

I would LOVE this feature. :heart_eyes: Definitely my #1 feature request for Drafts.

It is not in the current beta, so no sign of this feature being released just yet.

1 Like

Could really use folding right about now…

2 Likes

1+ for me! Collapsible text

1 Like

+1 from me :wink: would love to see this :wink:

2 Likes

I was about to post this again - so it seems like it’s my settled will.

I would say not just paragraphs as a movable unit but everything under a heading. (For me - with md2pptx/mdpre - this would amount to moving a slide or set of slides.)

1 Like

Keeping this alive :crossed_fingers: +1

2 Likes

Yes, I’d love to see this more than ever!

1 Like

I like how Obsidian did it. They are called callouts.

Callouts in Obsidian can be collapsed, but they are not the same thing. However, Obsidian does have collapsible/folding headers.

The thing is, the text editing built into Obsidian is not the same text editing built into Drafts.

In general on this topic…

I would like to see it available in Drafts, but I know Greg said back in October last year on the Slack group that folding is not on the roadmap right now. Not that it never will be, but just that it isn’t right now.

Without this feature, I simply rely on the navigation feature to be able to jump around and view an outline structure. I would suggest others consider the same as a workaround for the core use cases of overview and faster navigation; but I know there are some other use cases where the navigation is not sufficient (though things like side by side windows can help :wink:).

If a large enough proportion of users want it, then I’m reasonably sure it will make it onto the roadmap, but no assumptions about it being on some particular release schedule should be made - certainly not until Greg indicates otherwise.

In the meantime, the best thing to do is probably to add your support to this topic and explain why you would find it valuable.

4 Likes