Duplicate Pro Subscriptions

I can’t tell if this is a bug, or I’ve somehow subscribed incorrectly. Reading through this forum, it seems like one Pro subscription should cover both Mac and iOS, but I was unable to get them to recognize each other. I can confirm they’re both under a single Apple account.

Here’s my Subscriptions page (with other subs whited out).

Any advice on how to fix this?

There is a sidebar about sharing subscriptions in the sync documentation.

Long story short-ish: Mac and iOS App Stores do not interoperate…so there are options to purchase the subscription on either platform, and if you have purchased it on one platform, it can only be restored via “Restore Purchases” on the platform you purchased it on…and, because of this, purchases cannot be shared simply by being on the same App Store account.

Drafts implements its own method of sharing subscriptions via iCloud. To share you must be using the same iCloud account (with iCloud Drive active) on both iOS and macOS. e.g., if you drafts data is syncing between accounts, your Pro subscription can be shared the same way.

If you are using the same iCloud account on both, you should not need both subs and can cancel the Mac one.

Does this help explain?

Yes, this helped. Thanks. The issue for me was that iCloud Drive was not enabled on my work computer. Turning this on solved the problem.

1 Like

@agiletortoise I also subscribed to drafts on my work computer, but my work has completely blocked iCloud. Does that mean I have to pay for a 2nd subscription if I want to use Drafts Pro on my phone?

A Pro subscription can only be shared between iOS and Mac through iCloud at this time. So, if you purchased on the Mac, you must have at least one Mac syncing with your iCloud account for the unlock to sync to your iPhone. You can also unlock on a work Mac that is not syncing, as long as you are logged into the same Apple ID for App Store purchases.

Remind me, please: Is a Pro subscription shareable via Family Sharing? Including to both Mac and iOS / iPad OS?

1 Like