Does keyboard shortcuts cheatsheet exists?

I want deep use drafts, so i need familiar with keyboard shortcuts

Perhaps something like CheatSheet could be handy to you, and itā€™s not specifically for Drafts.

There are lots of apps that will do ā€œShow Me The Keyboard Shortcuts For This Appā€ but the best one is KeyCue.

1 Like

Several useful tools for Mac have been suggested, but just to be sure all are aware of the built-in iOS feature to hold down the command key to get a cheatsheet of all keyboard shortcuts currently available in any app.

1 Like

How the ā€œbuilt-in iOS feature to hold down the command keyā€

do you mean iPadOS with external keyboard?

I think we should simply create one.
Most importantly because the user defined action short cuts are not the same for everyone

The idea would be to create a draft with multi markdown and allow the user to print it.

Most importantly - give a option to add and remove short cuts to fit it to everybodyā€™s needs.

Maybe we could even share them via action on the action directory.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an idea: If actions were iterable and had a getShortcutKey() method someone could write an action to pick up all the actionsā€™ shortcut keys and report on them.

I need to have a chat with @agiletortoise about beefing up the action javascript model some time.

I think that would be possible now. Just a little fiddly.

You can find all actions. You can then get the share URL for an action via scripting (just not an action group right now).

If you decode the install URL, you can pull the keyboard shortcut out. I do something along these lines in generating this documentation from manually copiedaction group installation URL(s).

If people felt this would be useful Iā€™m sure that I could whip something up, but it wouldnā€™t pick up non-action keyboard shortcuts.

2 Likes

That gets us 99% of the way there - so itā€™s very good.

Wouldnā€™t the non-Action shortcut key combos be pretty standard? So hard codeable?

And, how are you getting the shortcut key from the URL?

I think it would fetch them from the keyboard shortcut that is defined in the action directory

@sylumer am I right?

I donā€™t know. On the Mac I do define my own through the standard OS feature that lets you do so.

I guess your mileage may vary.

By decoding it and parsing the JSON. As I say, thatā€™s exactly how I generate the documentation I linked to above, which includes the shortcut key.

The TADpoLe library has a function for extracting the shortcut keys once you have the JSON for an action: TA_actionKeys().

The installation URL is not the same as the action directory installation URL. Because the actionā€™s keyboard shortcut is associated with the action, it also is part of the installation URL, and the information held by the action directory. So is it the same? Absolutely. Is that where Iā€™m getting it from? No.

Iā€™ve created a quick action that as requested will just dump out the names of the actions with keyboard shortcuts and their shortcut to a new draft when run.

Please make that sure you have installed and set-up the ThoughtAsylum Action Group before trying to run it.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to roll in as the Luddite in the room.:relieved: I actually made my own keyboard shortcut cheat sheets a good while back.

I took screen grabs of the HUDs that appear when long-pressing āŒ˜ and then sent them to Text Grabber to extract the text. Unfortunately, Text Grabber didnā€™t recognise the keyboard shortcuts assigned, just the Action names, so I had to manually add in those bits. I also tried the ā€œEdit Group,ā€ route for screen grabbing and that also didnā€™t pick up the keys assigned.

I then made a Markdown draft with all the keyboard shortcuts filled in and assigned a keyboard shortcut to load that draft when I need to refer to it. I also printed it off as an aide-mĆ©moire on A4, and a condensed version on PostIt notes. Iā€™m not really a fan of scrolling through the HUD.

Iā€™ll roll out again now and leave you scripting geniuses to it. :+1:

3 Likes

Of the many things I have to thank you for (that Iā€™ve been experimenting with lately,) this is the most significant, but for reasons not entirely related to just Drafts. Without being too wordy:

Iā€™ve been using a bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone since it was introduced with iPhone 4. (It began as a conscious experiment - I chose a new phone instead of a new laptop to take to my first year of college.)

I have accumulated a lot of evidence to suggest that number of iPhone users whoā€™ve used a hardware keyboard with their phone is extremely tiny, but I think itā€™s a dynamic thatā€™s still worth documenting properly. As youā€™ve probably observed, even the association of iPad and keyboard in the past few years has actually made it worse - lookup any given iOS appā€™s keyboard shortcuts and youā€™ll return a list for iPad and nothing else. Over the years, Iā€™ve maintained a habit of going down the iPad list, testing each shortcut on iPhone, noting down the results in a table, and then emailing said list to the developers. (Naturally, they almost never respond. Shout out to Tapbots for being the only recent exception.)

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that the responsibility of writing the definitive iPhone x Bluetooth Keyboard guide/reference/documentation is my own.

Iā€™m posting this response here because I want to invte past, present, and future users to please share any thoughts they have on this if they so desire, but Iā€™d very much like to consult you privately if you can spare the time and energy.

Thanks!

Are there a lot of apps where the keyboard shortcuts on iPad differ from the ones on iPhone? They should function the same on either device in Drafts, and from a developer perspective I would think it would be harder to make them not work on iPhone than to just let them be the same.

IPhone does not have the benefit of the iPad overlay to help discovery. In Drafts you can at least enable shortcuts for actions to display in the list (in ā€¦ action list options).

1 Like

from a developer perspective I would think it would be harder to make them not work on iPhone than to just let them be the same.

Thank you for confirming that! Iā€™ve always suspected, but I am ultimately not a developer.

the answer to your question, in my experience, is yesā€¦

I would go so far as to say the majority of the cross-platform apps which have bluetooth keyboard support have incongruities between the devices.

Depending on how much you know about Tweetbot 6, you might find it interesting to know that its two remaining essential shortcuts (F to favorite a Tweet and āŒ˜ + R to reply) are no longer supported, though there was a point where I had both Tweetbot 5 and Tweetbot 6 on my phone when those shortcuts were still working on the former. As I said, they did actually respond to me about this! First with doubt:

Which ones do you think you are missing, donā€™t think that shouldā€™ve changed.

Then - in the interest of thoroughness - I did one more systematic run through of Tweetbotā€™s iPad shortcuts list just to make sure, sent the results to them, and heard back a week later: ā€œthanks! weā€™ll take a look at these.ā€

I consider myself pretty competent at finding documentation on any given obscure, dated issue, but never with proprietary Apple stuff before lol.

I would kill for an actual look at the code involved - Iā€™ve been seriously considering buying a used Mac Mini just so I could poke around Xcode myself.

iOS keyboard shortcuts are implemented with UIKeyCommand. If you Google that, there are many article about how they are implemented. This is a good one.

1 Like

Be aware of the resources you need to run Xcode and Swift my used mac approach was not usable for a development usage. Just saying - check the specs. Maybe a macos developer might give you a hint what is needed.

1 Like

To throw in with the interested parties, Iā€™m now an iPhone-only user who writes long articles and books with the Apple BT KB. Switching back and forth among iA Writer, Ulysses, and Drafts, Iā€™ve just returned to Drafts because Iā€™ve realized the best approach to choosing apps is parity for the iPhone.

The worst difference of all between iOS and iPadOS is CMD-tab does not work on the phone. The ability to search references from the keyboard bar limits that frustration.

(Now if only I could remember how to do everything in Drafts. Wonder if a Take Control manual would sell. I should write one.)

2 Likes