Width of the Drafts app window while opening/closing view of my drafts

Hello! In the Mac app, when I hit Cmd + 1 to close the view of the list of drafts (to focus only on the text), is there a way to make it so that the window shrinks down to the size of the draft window?

The workflow I’m in is: I’m working in a small Drafts window (small because there’s another window behind it I’m reading in parallel), set to the minimum possible width for a Drafts window. I have to open the list of my drafts (by pressing Cmd +1) to change which draft I’m working on. This causes the Drafts app window to widen to show the list of drafts to select from. But then when I close the list of drafts again (once again hitting Cmd + 1), the window stays wider–it keeps the extra width it gained when I opened up the view of my drafts on the left. I would love it if there were a way to preserve the old, smaller width, from before I hit Cmd + 1 the first time.

A very specific use case, but wanted to ask about it! Thanks so much. I am just loving this app.

4 Likes

Hi @billhiggins, I don’t have a pure drafts solution for your problem, but here is an example of how I restore my original window state with the App Keyboard Maestro:

2020_05_12_Support_1

Surely there is a way to achieve this with an AppleScript, but I am not the right person to contact.

I’d love to see this added to Drafts as a preference; BBEdit supports this.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much!

I had to solve this by using Keyboard Maestro also. I’d rather the list to extend and collapse instead of resizing the window.

2 Likes

Thanks for the macro. I’ve wished that Drafts would behave like Things does (preserve window width), in this regard though it’s rather non-standard behavior.