Using whisperAI in drafts

Is it possible to use the whisperAI model to use transcription in Drafts?

1 Like

No, Drafts does not have an Whisper model integration at this time.

This app works well on iOS and when you’re done speaking, you can immediately share the text to Drafts via the share sheet.

2 Likes

Sounds like, based on the WWDC Keynote announcements, Apple is also integrating some at least Whisper-like improved dictation models in iOS 17/macOS Sonora as well.

@agiletortoise

It would be great if Drafts incorporated OpenAI Whisper – either via the Whisper API, or even running locally on Apple Silicon devices.

Whisper’s transcription capabilities far exceed Apple’s and Google’s, at this point.

The difference in quality is stark! It would be great to be able to use whisper to transcribe directly to Drafts. Game changer.

You may be surprised by how much better dictation is in iOS 17 / macOS 14 (still in beta). Apple has incorporated AI models that make it competitive with Whisper.

Sounds good. I’m looking forward to it.

Throwing in my vote for Whisper support. I’ve been using the dictation on iOS 17 and while it’s better it’s not as good.

Actually I am surprised that it isn’t better.

I would be very supportive of Drafts using Whisper or as an alternative, Speechmatics which I have used for video captions and found to be very accurate.

2 Likes

+1 for this feature! I’d be happy to use my own OpenAI API key for such a feature. Perhaps Drafts could implement an automated wizard to help users connect the API to the app, thereby removing the need to charge more for API usage on their part? Just throwing in my two cents, as this would be a game changer.

1 Like

I too would like to have the ability to directly access Whisper for transcription directly into Drafts. In addition, it would be very helpful to be able to easily choose some of the other Whisper (and ChatGPT for that matter) formatting features such as summarizing, outlining, etc.

I also agree with splitpersonality that we should use our own OpenAI API keys for accessing Whisper, just as we do for ChatGPT.

I am an old dog and my antiquated fingers no longer work well with either software or hardware keyboards. I would be incredibly appreciative to be able to access Whisper based AI transcriptions directly in Drafts!