Things Parser 3

Thanks for your work. A question. Is it possible to enrich an existing project with several tasks without entering “@list (name)” on each line?

Not at the moment, I’m afraid.

1 Like

How can we use more than one parameter to define?

I recently found your action, installed the latest version, but when I run it nothing happens. Is there some kind of permission I should enable?

Your action has been an incredible help as I experiment with using Things as a replacement for OmniFocus; thanks for your hard work!!

Long story short, I currently use a Keyboard Maestro macro to do a bunch of actions. The final output is an OmniFocus (hopefully Things) project with a bunch of customized notes, links, and dates.

My transition to Things hinges on your action (again, thank you); my question is related to relative dates. My KM Macro will produce a Taskpaper template with relative dates such as:

@when(2022-04-07-1w)

However, after running Things Parser, this task shows up in Things with a “When” date of April 14th. Any advice on how I can use relative dates correctly?

Again, thanks for making this tool. It’s a huge help!

Hi Mike, thanks for your message. The date offsets part of my script actually only applies to the Mustache Parser part where variables like dates can be substituted into templates. (See here for more information.

Since you are not using that, the parsing of the dates is all being done by the Things app, not by my script. I have tested your input and am getting the same behaviour. Things does support relative dates in natural language, but you might have to use the Things app to test what does and doesn’t work. You can do this by making a new task and hitting the “when” button and try entering various natural language inputs. For example, I think that “1 week before 2022-12-25” does work correctly. Perhaps you can alter your KM Macro accordingly.

Does that help?

2 Likes

OHH, I am sorry for misunderstanding that! Thank you for taking the time to correct me and point me in the right direction!

2 Likes

@Mike_Burke would love to read more about your switch. Maybe in a private message or a thread?

I moved from OmniFocus to Things some time ago and had some struggles with Things
as you can read here One software lie ... [[GTD-ness]]

Is there a way to assign tasks to an area (and not to a project)

@area(name) or @areadID(id) is not working for me.

EDIT: @list works :slight_smile: