Support for org-mode syntax?

Hi
recent convert to mac after 15 years of linux. i use emacs org-mode (amazing open source cross platform application) for alot of my daily tasks and notes. i saw that there is a large support for several markdown flavours in drafts. was wondering if you would consider adding support to orgmode markup:

https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html

thx so much for considering

best

Z

1 Like

Second that. Iā€™m jumping on the forum looking exactly for like-minded people who wanted to have a decent editor that also works with Org-mode files.

1 Like

Custom syntax highlighting definitions (and themes) are planned features for the not-too-distant future. It is my hopes that many other syntax options, like org-mode, will become available from the community once those features roll out.

3 Likes

Hi
any news on syntax highlights for org mode and/or other org mode compatibility features?

best

Z

Syntax highlighting is the next ā€˜bigā€™ feature Greg as referenced to come after Mac actions. They are due very soon, so I expect heā€™ll provide more details during the early part of 2020.

This is exciting! I came to ask the same question about org-mode highlighting.

It should be noted that since org files are just plain text, Drafts can open and edit them fine. There just isnā€™t any syntax highlighting for /italic/ or ~code~, and bold looks italic. Headings would need some work too, since an org h1 is the same as a Markdown regular bullet.

Org-mode is more than just syntax highlighting. ā€œUnder the coversā€ org-mode supports key strokes that manipulate editor content to change the state of tasks. For instance, flagging a line as a TODO task, then cycling that TODO to DONE, are both simple key strokes.

Additionally, org-mode supports creating new views (agendas) that show currently open tasks, tasks due soon with their due dates, etc., in a new view. There is also calendaring support, in that there are key strokes that allow the user to interactively manipulate a calendar view to set due dates for tasks.

Will this level of interactivity be supported with the new Custom Syntax Highlighting, or will this merely provide the ability to colorize text based on user-defined templates?

Full support for org-mode would require an editor api that would allow customization that goes beyond colorization.

Either way, custom colorization will be a useful addition, as well.

If an Editor API is the plan, for the Org-Mode users in the crowd: a full implementation of Org-Mode as it exists in Emacs, today, will take many months, if not years, to re-implement in Drafts. Emacs Org-Mode is very mature, very sophisticated and complex. While it would be amazing for Drafts to fully support Org-Mode, the community will have to ā€œsneak upā€ on it in an incremental way. Just sayinā€™ā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

I use beorg on my phone. I use draft to take notes notes using siri ā€” which I import into my org files. It would be nice to see some minimal org-mode highlighting function.

I wonder if there are any updates?

People have made a syntax and actions for it. You just have to search in the directory. This link should run the search for you.

1 Like

The syntax is a great help. Thanks for sharing the link.
I note that preview (and export) of the draft in org still doesnā€™t render the org formatting well. Is there a way to fix that?

As I understand it, org-mode is a plain text, non-rendered format, so preview would not be applicable per se, and export would be the raw text.

If you have particular requirements to do something and do not know how to do it yourself, I would suggest creating a new topic (linked back to this one if relevant), and set out precisely what you want Drafts to do that these community created elements do not currently do for you.

1 Like

Hi,
An updated v2.0 Org-Mode custom syntax is available here