[Solved] Is there a way to stop drafts from reopening after a shortcut is run?

I’m working on a version of the Drafts to Note shortcut that allows for more features, but my one hitch is that the drafts app reopens after the shortcut is run. The reason why this is an issue is that for whatever reason (and this is a shortcuts app problem) the formatting doesn’t copy over correctly, so the shortcut takes the user to the note to paste the correctly-formatted text into the note. I have it set so that the note opens, but the drafts app comes back and the user has to switch back over to the notes app after the shortcut is run to paste the contents in. It’s a bit of a hassle, but it’s still workable if there’s no way to stop the forced re-opening.

The Run Shortcut action step uses Shortcut’s x-callback-url implementation under the hood to call Shortcuts. It will always return to Drafts because Drafts includes callback parameters. There’s no way to disable that in the step, but you could call the Shortcuts URL schemes directly with the Open URL which would not include those parameters and, thus, not return to Drafts.

Get details in Apple’s documentation, but you’d be looking to do something like the below in the Open URL step template:

shortcuts://run-shortcut?name={{NAME OF SHORTCUT}}&input=[[draft]]
2 Likes

Amazing, I should have thought of that sooner! Thank you for taking your time to reply to me!