[SOLVED] Allow the option to return the UUID from a callback URL create action

I have several automations where I would like to have the UUID of a Draft after it is created (e.g. to have a link to the Draft in the notes of an OmniFocus task), however right now I am somewhat limited in my options - and I have to use the clipboard to hold the UUID (which often necessitates putting the clipboard somewhere and then getting it back). Would it be possible to return the UUID of a Draft once it has been created?

5 Likes

Beginning in release 5.3 the /create URL scheme will all the uuid parameter to the x-success callback.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

Hi - I’m a bit out of my depth here, but I wonder if I could follow up on this question from almost a year ago. I’ve been sending notes/annotations (along with their tags) from drafts to a specific DEVONthink folder:
x-devonthink://x-callback-URL/createText?title=[[title]]&text=[[body]]&tags=[[tags]]&destination=My_Database_Group_URL
This has been a pretty good system, but I’m trying to further develop this scheme to file these into a new folder within that folder (or if not, simply into the inbox?). I can use Devonthink’s URL scheme to create a new group, like this:
x-devonthink://createGroup?destination=My_Database_Group_URL
but I’m not quite sure on how to connect these two. I understand from the Devonthink forums, that a custom success= parameter might allow me to pass the UUID to a second URL? At the end of the day, if this is not possible, not a big deal, but I’m having fun trying to make drafts → DEVONthink as frictionless as possible. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Currently this seems to be a separate topic rather than a continuation of the original one, I don’t see where the referencing of a UUID of a Drafts draft creation fits in. If I understand correctly, you’re processing in the opposite direction.

If you are using a callback action step from Drafts, then the result returned should be accessible via the template tag [[callback_result]] - see the callback action step documentation for details.

Ah, you are right. Sorry for the confusion. I’ll follow your link to the documentation.

Rosemary is it possible that you might post the actual syntax for implementing this type of X callback for a UUID from Drafts back to Shortcuts. Is this possible?

It is as simple as this.

I would note that this is about to get a lot easier on iOS 13 and up with the new Shortcuts capabilities. Drafts will have Shortcuts actions which return all information about drafts as magic variables in Shortcuts.

2 Likes