Save Instagram Posts

Most of the accounts I follow on Instagram are food-related (foraging, fermentation, bread/baking… that sort of thing) and I like to save posts with useful information, recipes, or ideas for future reference. Instagram’s search is pretty awful, and bookmarking posts isn’t all that helpful in this regard. Plus posts sometimes get deleted. So I created an Action that grabs the JSON data for any Instagram post URLs (instagram.com/p/*) found in the current selection/draft and creates a new draft for each one found (note that this only works for non-Private Accounts). You can edit the script to modify how the new drafts are formatted and set a few options, including whether or not it copies tags from the original draft.

How I use the Action:

1. In Instagram, tap the “…” button for a post I want to save
  2. Tap “Share to…”
  3. Tap “Drafts”
  4. Add tags (“instagram” and “fermentation”, for example)
  5. Tap “Save”

Then when I’m triaging my Drafts inbox, I simply run the “Save Instagram Posts” Action against any of the posts I’ve saved. You can also run the Action against a list of Instagram post URLs, and it will handle all of them.

Hopefully someone else finds this useful. Cheers.

4 Likes

I assume all you care about is the text - not the images?

1 Like

The Action actually pulls the Instagram-hosted URLs for the image(s) and uses them to insert the image(s) via Markdown. Obviously, if the post gets pulled or Instagram changes the image path and doesn’t do a redirect, those will break. I think the next version of the Action will include the option to download the image(s) to Dropbox or whatnot, so they’re never lost (this is what I was doing with an iOS Shortcut and Bear, only saving the image locally into the note because Bear supports that sort of thing).

1 Like

Interesting. I love Markdown but also often a need to occasionally embed images in a document. I’m thinking about options for doing both.

1 Like

It is quite useful action. I have been used this action well for long time before update. but after this update, I found error message that I cannot fix by myself.

Script Error: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: requestUrl
Line number: 241, Column 19

When I delete requestUrl variable on line241, another error: Unable to retrieve data for post, reel, or tv URL.

Could you please give a tip to fix? otherwise, can you share old version?

Are you still experiencing this issue? Sorry for the delayed reply—it’s been a while since I’ve visited the forums.

[quote=“garbonsai, post:1, topic:6047, full:true”]
Most of the accounts I follow on Instagram are food-related (foraging, fermentation, bread/baking… that sort of thing) and I like to save posts with useful information, recipes, or ideas for future reference. Instagram’s search is pretty awful, and bookmarking posts isn’t all that helpful in this regard. Plus posts sometimes get deleted. So I created an Action that grabs the JSON data for any Instagram post URLs (instagram.com/p/*) found in the current selection/draft and creates a new draft for each one found (note that this only works for non-Private Accounts). You can edit the script to modify how the new drafts are formatted and set a few options, including whether or not it copies tags from the original draft.

How I use the Action:

1. In Instagram, tap the “…” button for a post I want to save
  2. Tap “Share to…”
  3. Tap “Drafts”
  4. Add tags (“instagram” and “fermentation”, for example)
  5. Tap “Save”

Then when I’m triaging my Drafts inbox, I simply run the “Save Instagram Posts” Action against any of the posts I’ve saved. You can also run the Action against a list of Instagram post URLs, and it will handle all of them.

Hopefully someone else finds this useful. Cheers.
[/quote]It’s awesome to see your innovative approach to managing Instagram content, especially for food-related posts! Organizing information about foraging, fermentation, and baking can be a game-changer for culinary enthusiasts. And hey, speaking of food, have you dived into the Instagram world for insights on the best breakfast tacos in San Antonio? Sometimes, these platforms are treasure troves for uncovering unique and delicious culinary experiences! Cheers to your clever system for saving and managing food-related content!

I’m not a coder, but I do love my tools :slight_smile: I recently came across a tool called Cobalt, a website that pulls media out of various services. You can find it here: https://cobalt.tools/

I don’t know all that you can do with it, or if can be automated in any way, but I do know that some recipes come in video-format only, so it might help in getting that stuff out of their walled gardens. HTH :slight_smile:

1 Like