Pledge for powerful Notion integration

Thank you for building Drafts and making it such a powerful and elegant tool.

Can you please consider to integrate Notion support slowly but surely into Drafts? This would be very helpful as most of my writing starts in Drafts but ends up in my digital note archive.

After 10 years of Evernote, I switched to Notion in a heartbeat after trying it out for a day. It is so powerful and adds many, many advantages to my digital archive. I am convinced it is going to have a huge appeal to advanced digital note-takers (=people that use Drafts) and is going to grow in importance over the next months and years.

Thank you for your consideration and keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Achim

PS: if you are a Notion user and read this, please consider to make yourself heard :wink:

9 Likes

Iā€™m not aware of any Notion API. Iā€™m always looking for new services to integrate into Drafts, but unless they offer a web-based API, itā€™s not possible to integrate Notion in the manner or with the level of depth Evernote is integrated.

I also have not seen documentation for any URL scheme support in their apps, which would allow integration with existing actions in Drafts. If anyone comes across documentation for such support in Notion, Iā€™d be happy to assist in the creation of some example Notion actions.

2 Likes

Thank you for this constructive answer :slight_smile: Iā€˜ll reach out to the Notion support team and report back here what they have to say regarding API availability.

1 Like

OK, so there is no Notion web API, yet.

From Notion support:

ā€¦ We donā€™t have a public API yet but itā€™s on the roadmap! ā€¦

Iā€™ll report back when this changes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While they come up with an API for a more transparent integration, I wonder if there is a better formatting option to share to Notion via Clipboard so that the format is better preserved.
Maybe Copy as Markdown is good enough.
Since this topic is relatively old, have there been any updates on either side?
I know Notion has an iOS share sheet extension but not sure if they have proper documentation to make it work better.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hey all,

anybody had a look at https://www.notion.so/api-beta so far?

Kind regards
demaya

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the link. I asked to join the beta test and got this answer:

Weā€™re aiming to launch the public beta in Spring 2021, and youā€™ll be among the first to gain access to the public beta and our early developer community as soon as they open.

Looking forward to discover the API :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve tried to contact both Notion and Roam about their promised APIs, and havenā€™t gotten any response from either. :man_shrugging:t2:

If anyone knows how to get on their radar, let me know.

Notion just came out with a public API beta!! Please make this happen!

3 Likes

Here are links to the developer docs

https://www.notion.so/Add-and-manage-integrations-with-the-API-910ac902372042bc9da38d48171269cd

1 Like

I played with it some today. It still seems very beta, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have some basics working soon.

4 Likes

FYI, still looking into this to clarify, but the best I can tell the API Notion has provided is not suitable for use with Drafts. Itā€™s not a client-side API, but built around a server-side bot model.

Individual users do not log in to the API like a client-side API, but the application itself does, so itā€™s more like Slack Bots that sit around and watch for data changes in Notion and perform actions, etc.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the braying hordes want the world on a dessert spoon but Iā€™d be happy with the ability to just send a draft to a certain notion page right now ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ best of luck- love what you do.

1 Like

It should be possible to do basic ā€œadd text to Notionā€ type actions. Iā€™ve got it working as python scripts and run these from Drafts using Pythonista (iOS). Iā€™ve had to use this package: ramnes/notion-sdk-py: Python rewrite (sync + async) of the official Notion API client (github.com) as I canā€™t get get the json right to directly use python requests or HTTP requests. Somebody with better javascript skills should be able to make it work. There arenā€™t many endpoints in the API, but itā€™s surprising how much can be done.

The API itself has methods to manipulate content, no problem. The issue is more about authentication and security model. Most of the APIs Drafts integrates with allow an individual user to authenticate and perform actions as themselves. For example, you log in to use the Twitter API using your personal credentials, and actions taken with the API appear on Twitter as having been done by you.

The Notion API is set up to create ā€œintegrationsā€. Only a single instance of the integration is authenticated in a Notion workspace, and actions performed using the API appear as being performed by the integration, not the user, additionally the resources (pages, databases, etc.) in Notion which the integration has permissions to act on are not the same as that of an individual user, and integrations must be added to a workspace in Notion just once by an administrator of the workspace - individual users cannot choose to add them and use them.

Nothing wrong with this, itā€™s a powerful model for many of the types of things Notion needs in integrations, but doesnā€™t make sense for Drafts.

That said, it is certainly completely possible to write Drafts scripts that use the API, you just have to create your own integrations and manage the API tokens, etc., yourself.

Got it. That makes sense. It doesnā€™t really make any practical difference for me as a personal, individual user, but I can see how it would make a difference within a team instance of Notion. Now, if only I could stop getting these json errorsā€¦