Please don’t require Mojave for final Drafts 5 for Mac

Title says it all! Because I have a ScanSnap s1300m, I’m stuck on High Sierra but I love Drafts 5 for Mac.

2 Likes

It’s also the case that Mojave, for the first time in quite a few years, left more Macs out in the cold regarding eligibility for upgrade. Top of my head, I think it shifted-on 3 years, to 2012, for some models. The irony of course being iOS has gone the other way and indeed become much snappier on older hardware.

I don’t doubt that a healthy proportion of those frequenting this forum will have the “latest and greatest,” Mac hardware as roles/work dictate this. Time is money etc. But with new Macs getting further/substantial price-hikes this year, for those with limited demands (not using Xcode or video-editing etc), there is perhaps a greater desire to keep the older kit running for as long as is practicable, especially when it appears to be perfectly serviceable.

I bet there’s nothing more infuriating for a developer than non-developers chiming-in on sys reqs when they have no knowledge on the fundamental issues at hand on delivering a robust solution. All I will say is, as High Sierra will likely get security updates until 10.15 drops, it would be nice to see Drafts support macOS n-1 when it does come out of beta.

@randystokes - Are you sure about this. I have a Scansnap s1300 and it runs just fine in Mojave. My problem will likely come at the nest release, 10.15, when Apple says the support for 32-bit drivers will not exist any longer.

I still refuse to upgrade to Mojave due to the Windows-Vista-esque “security” “improvements” so I hope High Sierra will be supported.

I second this request to please support High Sierra when Drafts officially launches on macOS.

Thanks Greg.

As the owner of a MacBook Pro that can’t get beyond High Sierra I’d love it if this (oldest) machine could run Drafts. (My 2015 MBP certainly can and does run Mojave.)

But, if there’s a technical reason Mojave has to be the first release then I’d understand that. I’d just love to know what such a technical reason might be. (There not being much apparent in the release.) :slight_smile:

There’s always additional overhead to supporting past OS releases on any platform. Apple is always fixing bugs and adding improved and newer APIs that do not exist and will not be added to the older releases - and, more importantly, it adds a tremendous testing and compatibility requirement along with each new update and feature addition.

2 Likes

I was in the same situation, but found this working well to get that MBP up to Mojave:

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

I think 10.x and 10.x-1 acts as a sanity check on new features. Apple have been “moving fast and breaking things” ever since Yosemite in my experience recent upgrades have been tumultuous for a lot of people. I reverted to High Sierra after trying to get my Mac to play nice with my encrypted Thunderbolt drive under Mojave and corrupting everything with unscheduled power cycles. LaCie never confirmed the issue and I reported it to Apple, but my guess is they can’t reproduce. Disk works fine in High Sierra. Maybe I will upgrade eventually to Mojave but currently feels like Apple’s quality control is lacking this doesn’t just apply to old hardware.

macOS 10.13 iMac 4K 2015

Yeah, the more I hear about Mojave, the less inclined I am to “upgrade” to it.

I skipped Sierra a few years ago and went right to High Sierra, and I suspect I’ll be doing the same with Mojave too.

I kinda like Mojave, and had zero-issues with the upgrade - which is rare because I have a lot of developer tools setup, low-level Unix-y tweaks, etc.

That said, if you don’t need dark mode, I don’t know that it offered that much new to make it a compelling update either.

Everyone’s mileage varies, of course.

1 Like

Sadly, I don’t have the option of trying Mojave without shelling out for new hardware, and I can do my work on what I’ve got so it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

To be honest though, I’m quite happy with the current macOS Drafts. It would of course be awesome to have comparable functionality to the iOS version, but on macOS I’ve got other powerful tools to compensate. If the macOS version’s features were frozen as current for High Sierra I wouldn’t mind too much.

My personal Macbook Pro won’t run Mojave; My work one does.

I would not want to go without e.g. Security fixes so by the time son-of-Mojave is out I expect to transfer personal stuff to a new Mac Mini. (That personal stuff is iTunes backups and photos, mostly, so a server Mini is fine.)

But I can see people taking other stances and continuing to run High Sierra for a long time.