Not syncing to iPad

Mac Drafts are not syncing to iPad
iPad drafts don’t go over to Mac but an icon appears on the dock saying from iPad

1. Are drafts syncing the other way, Mac to iPad?
  2. Have you tried restarting both apps and/or both devices?
  3. I’m not sure what the ‘from iPad’ icon in the dock is. Could you be referring to iOS/macOS continuity hand-off functionality?

No sync either way
Have tried restarting
Yes it is the [continuity hand-off]

Okay, next, check your iCloud Drive Settings as referenced here:

https://getdrafts.com/settings/sync.html

Dug deep. Went places I thought I’d been before and discovered that on the iPad iCloud was set to off. No idea how that happened though I recently had to sign out of iCloud and back in. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This link sadly leads to nothing …

Is the content gone, or just moved by accident?

I seem to have a similar issue, where I enabled iCloud sync both in the iCloud settings and the Drafts settings.

But still, I don’t see the same list of documents on both iPads.
Also, I cannot see at all if something is happening in the background or so, no sign of any activity at all.

How about some log or popup that says things "currently syncing: " or something similar?

It just moved. Still shows up on the site search and doc index.

For convenience, here’s the link.

Note syncing is effectively managed by the OS. I’m not sure if there would be any hooks in place to monitor progress. Last sync update maybe, but if that was based on content, you can effectively tell that already.

Many thanks.

I tried as the webpage said, and more:

1. The settings are OK
  2. A reboot of both devices did not help
  3. I modified all documents on the iPad with fewer documents and they did get correctly synced to the other iPad

So it seems that sync is working for common and probably newer documents, but it does not sync any older documents!

The second iPad has loads of more documents and it seems that i can only get them uploaded to iCloud and sync to the other iPad by modifying them
This will not happen and cannot be the cure, that could be thousands of documents!

I then tried the different reset option and noticed, that they are useless too.

What would be needed, is to first clear the iCloud location (there is an option for that) and then upload all documents again to iCloud (this option is missing).

And after that, force a download from iCloud on the other device (this option is also missing).

I then uninstalled and reinstalled Drafts from the device with fewer documents, but that did not work either!

Only the former documents did show up again.

So finally, my interpretation is, that the device with more documents did NOT upload all of them to iCloud - it only does this for new or modified documents.

This is … not very good.
It may also be, that the reset / sync options are not well explained.

Any idea?

frustrated

Well, if you have been through all those steps, and assuming you are up to date on app versions, the next logical step I think would be to raise a support issue.

https://agiletortoise.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

This isn’t something people are generally experiencing, so either there’s something about your device setup, or you have hit a new edge case. Whatever the case, Greg’s probably your best bet at this point as you seem to be in a mixed sync position.

The only other thing I can recommend is to make sure you have recent backups on each device, just to ensure you have something to fall back to if you need to reset.

Please open a ticket and send sync logs described in the troubleshooting steps so we can work directly to resolve your issues.

As the warnings on the reset options say, they are not for use unless directed by our support, as they are for resolving specific types of issues which we can diagnose with log information.

Thanks, but I don’t like to send sync logs … they probably contain file names or such.

I am in the process of manually deleting or modifying any and all documents on the iPad with more of them - each time, the document then shows up on the other device.

I think, it would be great and helpful to have the options mentioned above:

1. Clean the iCloud location (seems to be there already)
  2. Upload all local content to iCloud (missing, as it seems)
  3. Download everything from iCloud (missing, as it seems)

This way, people could manage similar problems by themselves.

And generally, it would be great to see any indication of a sync going on!

Apple likes to hide such things, but it is immensely useful to have such an option!

Many thanks …

After I am finished with the 2 iPads, I will check my iPhone and see how it behaves.
I enabled iCloud Sync only today on all the devices, after years of using them separately.

Logs do not contain any meaningful, identifiable data, or text from your drafts. Only events and errors which occurred. You can open them in a text editor if you want to review.

Sync status is rarely useful in Drafts because it is typically almost immediate. The type of commands you describe are not really good options as they often have side effects you would not want, and exposing them in the UI often creates situations where people use them anytime they have minor, temporary sync issues, cause more issues and a tremendous load on the network and backend.

I opened a support case and send an email with logs from both an iPad and the iPhone.

Does not sync at all, in no direction, regardless of changes.
Thats worse than what happened on the iPads

Apple does not understand how proper syncing needs to be implemented.

Problems solved between iPads and iPhone.

Many thanks for your support!!!