New draft with current date

Hello Community

This is my first post
I am asking if there is a way I can create a new draft with current date inserted as the title?
Hope my question was clear, thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi! That botā€™s annoying!

Anyway, yes, Drafts can do this. Youā€™ll need to set up a document template for this which will initiate the date action when itā€™s opened. You give that document a name and then whenever you want a document that starts with the date (or anything else) as text, you just use that template.

The basics are covered in this ā€˜how toā€™ on The Sweet SetUp website: Automating Drafts to Create Custom Documents in Seconds ā€“ The Sweet Setup

Now, youā€™ll also need to enter the correct command to insert the correct current date (and time if you wish) each time you start a new document using this template. The command would be the first line of text at the top of the document template.

Hereā€™s a thread that explains the syntax (syntax = correct command) required: Insert the Date Created in a draft

Hope that helps and that that pesky bot stays squished!

2 Likes

Is there a way? Yes!

I donā€™t personally have time to put an example together right now, but this can be done with a simple action. A quick look in the directory turns up this one, but from the sounds of your request, you donā€™t need half of the things this action actually does: New Draft++ | Drafts Directory; it might provide something for you to experiment with, if you feel confident enough to do so, however.

3 Likes

Yup, this is good too! Setting up your own document template - see above - has the advantage of everything being as the OP wants it without needing to delete anything.

The action youā€™ve listed is very useful because it illustrates how this all works and certainly could be used (but itā€™s probably more trouble than just opening a blank doc and inserting the date using a simple ā€˜dateā€™ action.

If the oOP makes their own doc template, itā€™ll take time setting up but will then ā€˜just workā€™. Itā€™ll also be an opportunity to learn a little about the power of drafts :blush:

1 Like

See the below tip for a multi-use way of creating new drafts with content (including dates):

4 Likes

I wish it was simpler! But as you said it is sometimes better to insert date manually