Need Spark Action that Sends Copies

►First thought … CRLF (%0d%0a) is a Windows encoding. Did you try the unix encoding, LFLF (%0A%0A)?

►Second thought … Instead of URL Encoding CRLF or LFLF, what about URL Encoding the HTML Entity for new line, &NewLine?

►Third thought … Since I have set Spark as my default mailer, might using the mailto: URL scheme get around whatever the problem is with the Spark URL scheme?

mailto:toAddress?cc=ccAddress&bcc=bccAddress&subject=theSubject&body=theBodyFirstLine%0A%0AtheBodySecondLineAfterBlankLine

UPDATE April 21, 2022 3:55 AM

:eyes:! The mailto: worked!

2 Likes

I remember I had tried %0A, as well as <br>, and \n to get a single new lin. It looks like using mailto: is the key :clap:t2:

Let me kindly note that we are not able to implement the outside created coding into Readdle apps.

That response feels like it might be an email template itself from a first line support person who didn’t understand what was being requested. I cannot believe it is not possible for them to decode a newline from a URL scheme given what they already have in place.

I wonder if mailto: would also be a way to get new lines into the body of Gmail.app? :thinking: The internet is awash with posts of people asking how to do so with the Gmail URL scheme.

I responded by pointing out that Readdle supports URL schemes for PDF Expert and their calendar, so why not Spark. Maybe my response will kick the problem up to a higher level support person. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

This new line issue with URL schemes is a pretty common problem with Mail clients. Most of them default to composing/sending HTML email these days, and don’t do the necessary conversions on their incoming text.

I think the Gmail app, Spark, Airmail, Outlook, and others have all either had or have this bug – and some have repeatedly fixed, and then broken it again over the years. :man_shrugging:

Even Apple screwed this up briefly last year in the Mail share extension. In the late versions of iOS 14.x, if you sent text to the Mail compose APIs or the mailto: URL it would pop up in the message with literal text Line1<BR>Line2<BR>!

Yes, during last night’s search for a solution, I stumbled upon this problem with Apple’s Mail.app for iOS.

I also read that mailto: is notoriously unreliable when it comes to including multiple email addresses in any of its recipient lists, i.e., to, cc, or bcc but I haven’t tried this yet.

So, mailto: may not really be the solution for my mailer need.

Here’s this morning’s response from Readdle:

Thank you so much for your emails and provided information. Let me apologize for the misunderstanding.

I’ve just double-checked the information with our Quality Assurance team and would like to let you know the URL scheme, indeed, is available in Spark. However, the new line characters in the body text feature is not supported at the moment.

Please be assured that I’ve added your kind request to our Wish List for the developers to look through and keep in mind for further investigation of the matter. Once there is any update on the matter - I’ll be happy to let you know.

Also, if you have the Spark app set as your default mail client on your device, please consider using the mailto: link, as it will work the same way as the URL scheme.

For example, "mailto:one@test.email,two@test.email?subject=test&body=some%0Atext&cc=three@test.email", where %0A is the new line character.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me back if there is anything else I could do for you.

So, apparently they are recommending using mailto: instead of the Spark URL scheme.