Need confirmation dialogs for moving drafts to Trash and for accidentally deleting them from Trash

Version: 36.0 (210)
Device: iPhone

This is more than a run-of-the-mill “Feature Request”, so even if it’s not a bug but a design problem, on iPhone there’s a big problem: swiping left too fast or too long, and the draft is either moved to the Trash, or in the Trash, gone for good. Swiping left slow and careful and you can pick “Flag”, “Archive”, or in the case of the Trash, "Restore”.

However, it happens very easy that you swipe left faster or longer than you intend to. Add to that the risk that you lose your grip on the phone and you touch the screen randomly, and you can understand why some people are not satisfied with the current design.

In short: it is far to easy to by sheer mistake either swipe-trash a draft to the Trash when you only intended to Flag or Archive it, or to swipe-delete a draft from the Trash when you only intended to Restore it!

We need confirmation dialogs for moving drafts to Trash and for deleting them from Trash when we don’t intend to, at least on iPhone. But of course it should be optional so you can trash/delete without confirmation if you want.

:arrow_forward:︎ A great alternative to confirmation dialogs is for the slider to stop sliding beyond “Trash” - or in the Trash, beyond “Delete” - without halting first: the slider could simply stop and can’t be moved beyond displaying “Trash” or “Delete”, respectively. And to actually trash or delete, you tap “Trash” or “Delete”, respectively. And that final action doesn’t need a confirmation dialog: you cancel by simply tapping anywhere than on the slider and when you do, the slider retracts.

You should also read Trash sort order is unknown, not last trashed on top, because that Topic also touches lightly on this.

You can change the default behavior from “Trash” to “Archive”. See here.

It isn’t hugely clear from the original post, but the OP does note that they are talking about swiping from within the trash folder specifically.

Most people let the trash manage itself as content auto deletes in 30 days. We have had discussions on the forum before about manual deletion for privacy/security and the challenge that you then also need to take into consideration backups too. Ultimately, there are relatively few reasons to engage in manually deleting drafts from the trash. It’s like defragging hard drives - you can, but the system takes care of it for you.

In all the time that Drafts has had the swipe gesture (many years now), I believe this is the first (public) request for this change in behaviour. That leads me to believe that this is more of an opinion-based request than a “big problem”. I would expect any"big problem" with this long standing feature to have come to the fore many years ago. I personally would categorise this as a valid feature request.

1 Like

You can change the default behavior from “Trash” to “Archive”.

@garbonsai , thanks, that’s interesting, haven’t seen that before, but it’s not useful to this Topic. I’ve explained the relation between how I use the Archive and the Trash, and lots of other subjects, in Trash sort order is unknown, not last trashed on top. In short,

I use the Archive the same way I use my archive at home. There’s things I know is good to keep, that I file in my archive trunk, and I don’t mix them with Trash. Then there’s food wraps, Post-it Notes, scrapbook notes, old love letters, receipts and payed bills older than a year that all go in the bin. They irregularly go to garbage collection, but sometimes there’s something I realize I want to retrieve before that. And these things are mostly close to the top of the bin and not that hard to find.

1 Like

@sylumer , thanks for pointing out my ambiguity, I didn’t realize I was (really, really so). It’s amazing how people manage to pick apart OPs that the poster considered to be clear-cut, but I’m hugely grateful for you doing that, so again thanks:

It isn’t hugely clear from the original post, but the OP does note that they are talking about swiping from within the trash folder specifically.

That is not what I meant, apologies for being unclear. What I should have written (the OP is now updated accordingly) is:

swiping left too fast or too long, and the draft is either moved to the Trash, or in the Trash, gone for good. Swiping left slow and careful and you can pick “Flag”, “Archive”, or in the case of the Trash, "Restore”.

Please don’t hesitate to point out if there’s still something unclear, I really appreciate the help.

Most people let the trash manage itself as content auto deletes in 30 days. We have had discussions on the forum before about manual deletion for privacy/security and the challenge that you then also need to take into consideration backups too.

This is a misinterpretation; it’s actually the opposite of intentional deletion that is the problem: it is far to easy to by sheer mistake swipe-delete a draft from the Trash when you only intended to Restore it!

I’ve updated the OP to clear out the misunderstanding.

I believe this is the first (public) request for this change in behaviour. That leads me to believe that this is more of an opinion-based request than a “big problem”. I would expect any “big problem” with this long standing feature to have come to the fore many years ago. I personally would categorise this as a valid feature request.

@sylumer , good point. You may be completely right. Or, as I’ve elaborated in this Topic,

I honestly believe that these issues concern a lot more users than you think - and most of them I’m sure haven’t even thought very much about it, or had the time, energy, patience and endurance to ask for a solution - or even realized how it could be fixed at all, or capable of suggesting how (a lot of users aren’t technical at all). It’s just an annoyance that they live with, but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t appreciate if it went away.

And, I might add, to some it’s more than an annoyance: it actually is a big problem.

That includes me, and my excuse is that I ain’t fifty anymore, so my agility with tapping and swiping isn’t what it used to be. And besides: how can you be sure the reason that “this long standing feature” haven’t “come to the fore many years ago” isn’t simply that the users that feel anxious about swiping on drafts on their iPhones work around it by preferring to move drafts to the Trash and (in the rare case they need to) restore drafts from the Trash using their other devices in stead, if possible? Or as have been pointed out in the other Topic, use long-press menus in stead, to which I replied:

Long-press menus are great, I use them in many situations not just in Drafts so I’m used to them. They make many tasks more efficient, but sifting through the menu to find the right action is actually quite cumbersome and it’s not as easy as you think on iPhone to strike home when you tap: it’s not difficult to miss the intended action, so using a long-press menu typically takes a lot more time than a quick and easy swipe, so when there’s a swiping action available I always prefer that because it’s much more time-saving (free time is a luxury I don’t have a lot of) - and less annoying if delete confirmation is granted as an option.

In fact, I believe the number one reason that the small annoyances never “come to the fore” to be this very situation right here: the incredible amount of work that you have to put down to get through the sieve that relentlessly sifts out ambiguities, unclarities, misinterpretations and misunderstandings, before you can get your message through. Many to many that actually take on the task of trying to achieve a change by creating a Topic gives up long before that, and most would-be OPs never post anything at all because they know that: of this I am 100% certain.

So if it’s alright with you, I’d prefer to let this Topic simmer for a while in the “Issues” category and await a few more comments.

1 Like

@garbonsai , @sylumer ,
thanks for helping me improve the Topic OP, as well as the title. If this discussion is going to make any sense for new readers it’s pivotal that I unambiguously describe exactly what the Topic is, including all relevant aspects, and my points of view: why I’m raising the question. It’s not much of a meaningful thread if the community is creating superfluous posts because I’ve been too ambiguous or unclear right from the start, so I’ve updated the OP to answer your inquiries, corrected a couple of typos that didn’t exactly help, and included a reference to Trash sort order is unknown, not last trashed on top, because that Topic touches lightly on this.

1 Like

I just added this to the OP:

:arrow_forward:︎ A great alternative to confirmation dialogs is for the slider to stop sliding beyond “Trash” - or in the Trash, beyond “Delete” - without halting first: the slider could simply stop and can’t be moved beyond displaying “Trash” or “Delete”, respectively. And to actually trash or delete, you tap “Trash” or “Delete”, respectively. And that final action doesn’t need a confirmation dialog: you cancel by simply tapping anywhere than on the slider and when you do, the slider retracts.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time and effort to clarify. That is really appreciated and helps (at least me) get a better understanding of the challenges you are experiencing.

That’s based on the statistics of the volume of users, the period of time, and the level of interation of the user base.

You noted that long press options are also an issue as an alternative to swiping on the iPhone as it is “not as easy as you think on iPhone to strike home when you tap”. May I ask what input method you use to input text on the iPhone or to switch between folders. Do you just use Siri, or some other control method? From what has been described ity sounds like both swiping and tapping on controls are proving to be a challenge.

I don’t wish to make any assumptions on the scale of the challenges you have in accessing the UI, but it would be remiss of me not to highlight the accessibility features built into the iPhone for touch interactions. Assistive touch allows you to program in things like custom gestures.

Unfortunately text size and zooming only really change readability rather than the overall size of the interface, so I don’t believe they would provide any notable support in this case.

In addition to tapping and swiping for built-in features, actions are also worth considering as an alternative to change the properties of a draft. The standard prompt buttons are, I think, reasonably large in comparison to some other tap/swipe targets, but if you make use of Advanced HTML Previews, you can build prompts where you have full control over the size of the targets. While this option does not address the original request directly, and there may still be similar issues in triggering actions, it may provide a workaround customised to your particular requirements.

While I have no issue with an optionally enabled confirmation, the alternative of limiting the swipe feels to me more in keeping with the way Drafts’ design currently implements this feature. I would like to suggest a logical extension if Greg considers this of being able to customise the swipe gestures available on a draft in the draft list, Ideally on a per workspace basis. This would allow users to choose their swipe gestures, and because I’m always on the lookout for opportunitites even tie them to actions.

I suspect this would not be a trivial addition (requiring a new bit of UI to allow users to specify, consideration of how this might be applied in the context of a context menu on the Mac, implementation of the logic, what to do about shared workspaces if options to add actions were included (plus any upadte on the directory to accommodate). Tying it to workspaces would make it more flexible and also a pro subscription feature, which I feel would be a fair accommodation for the effort involved and this feeling very much like a deep-tweak sort of feature.

Hopefully, there are some useful ideas and considerations in the above.

1 Like

The behavior of swipe actions is an iOS feature, not something Drafts implemented. That is how it works in all apps that use swipe actions in Apple’s provided APIs.

Continuing a swipe is a gesture in and of itself and is a shortcut to accepting the default action.

That is not changing. That is unless Apple decides to change that behavior.

2 Likes