iOS 14’s Back Tap

Great article in the new edition of Tidbits that just came out about iOS 14’s Back Tap. It only works on iPhone 8 and later, and not in iPad, but it’s a cool Accessibility feature that lets you double or triple tap on the back of your phone to trigger any one of a number of actions…including launching a Shortcut.

Which should fill us with glee!

2 Likes

If anyone has time to point me to a info about launching Drafts actions via Shortcuts (the opposite of this), I’d appreciate it (and likely some silent newbie lurkers would, as well).

Drafts has a shortcut Action “Run Action” which you can use out of the box.

You can also use the URL-Scheme of Drafts to launch an action with a shortcut, you just need an “Open URL” step. Find the info for the URL Scheme here in the docs. I created a shortcut in the past to assemble the link for the url scheme, you just need to enter the name of the Action in the first prompt. You can download it here.
Anyway, i think the “Run Action” Step is the thing you need

1 Like

Double backtap gets me a fresh draft. (Triple backtap gets me to OmniFocus Today screen.)

2 Likes

That’s so obvious. Why didn’t I think of it? Did you use the “Run Action” FlohGro suggested?

Also, how do you trigger fresh draft on iPad?

I already had a one-step Shortcuts action to do it, meant to be triggered from a menu in another shortcut via an NFC tag. Likewise OmniFocus Forecast.

which NFC tags do you use.
Do they work with an iPad (2018)?

1 Like

Lovely idea.
I star a new draft in dictation mode.

We will see how it works out

I don’t remember. The NFC tags were generic off Amazon. I doubt they work with an iPad. If there were a hypothetical iPad Mini I could see NFC support being useful, but not for this original 12.9” iPad Pro.

1 Like