How do I use text input prompt into Things Url

I’m trying to create action for Things 3 URL. I’d like the action to prompt for inputs. I found an action in the action list that allows user to add tag and list but I’d also like to add heading.

Here is the syntax for things.

things:///add?title=Test&tags=Work&heading=April&reveal=true

I’d like where it says “April” to be entered from a user prompt.

Can someone help this noob out? Thank you

You would need to add a prompt, and then reference it in the URL. Here’s the prompt:

And here’s the URL:

things:///add?titles=[[draft]]&tags=[[Tag_button]]&list=[[List_button]]&heading=[[Heading_button]]&reveal=true

I assumed you based the action off of this one by shankarux, so I’ve extended it for you to add the heading: Multiple items to Things – with list, tags and heading | Drafts Directory

I don’t have Things so can’t test this, let me know if there are mistakes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks rosemary!

For some reason, the header isn’t being added. I wonder if who uses things can try this as well to see if I’m doing something wrong.

Any chance some of your URL parameters are not URL Encoded?

I think Drafts allows you to force it on template tags by wrapping them in double curly braces ‘{{[[tag]]}}’.

If not, can you post an exact example of a URL that isn’t working?

I think the issue is on the Things side. For some reason the header URL isn’t working. I submitted the bug.

1 Like