Help using the Dynalist API with Drafts

There is a Drafts script that sends a Draft to Dynalist’s inbox via the API, but I would like to send a draft to another document (not the inbox). Looking at the API documentation this seems like it should be possible, but I can’t get it to work. I posted in the Dynalist forums, but didn’t get any response, so I thought I’d try here.

I’m afraid my scripting skills are quite limited, so I appreciate any help I can get.

It would be helpful if you posted your failed attempt (post the code), so anyone reading can see what you have tried and identify possible errors in the code or the api calls, without having to provide a full solution from scratch.

I don’t use Dynalist and I haven’t studied the api, but it looks like the endpoint url
(https://dynalist.io/api/v1/inbox/add) specifically targets the inbox, so if you find something in the api documentation that can target another document, that’s a good place to start.

There is API documentation on how to access other documents here, but if I understood it I probably wouldn’t have had to ask for help…

A quick look at the API suggests this would not be a very simple undertaking. Dynalist documents are structured documents, and it looks like the APIs to edit/add to an existing document all require you to know about the structure and know specific id values for nodes in the document to target to add the new content.

So while possible, it would likely require a series of calls to fetch the exiting document, scan it’s nodes, find what you want to update, etc. Not something you could do with a simple single call like the example action you pointed to.

I see. Thanks. At least I don’t feel so stupid for not being able to figure it out!