Help me insert an email address link

I apologize in advance if this is obvious to others, but I have not been able to discern how to embed an email link in a draft.

I am using iOS on an iPad, and I publish an email newsletter using Apple Mail. I have tried a number of times to write a person’s name, and then add a link that, when activated, will start an email address to the person.

I have tried the syntax ” [Jimmy Jones] (jimmy@jones.com) “ and I have also tried
[Jimmy Jones] (mailto:jimmy@jones.com), but neither syntax works in the preview or in markdown email. Note: I added the spaces between the and () after I saw that the forums software automatically rendered those as links. When in drafts, I omit the space! :grinning:

If this has already been answered either here in the forums or in the documentation, please just point me in the direction of that knowledge. Thanks!

Dave Gerlits

Not sure I understand exactly what your end goal is…if it’s just to have link in the text of a draft you can tap to open a new message addressed in Mail, you can just place the email address in a draft, and enable Link Mode and the email address will become a tappable link.

If you are wanting to automate this further, you can create email actions already configured to sent to specific addresses or groups. The email integration guide covers some of these basic of configuring mail actions.

My end goal is to have the text of my email contain a name, like Jimmy Jones, which contains a “mailto:” link, allowing the reader of the email to click the link and be brought to an email with Jimmy Jones as the addressee.

I have been able to type an email address into drafts, enter the link mode, and click the link to make the email address a tappable link, but I have not been able to export that tappable link to an email via either the “Email” or “markdown email” actions.

I feel like I am missing something obvious.

If you are using a mail action that generates HTML, you would need the output of the template to include that as an html link, like:

<a href="mailto:jimmyjones@domain.com">Send Jimmy Mail</a>

The easiest way to do that, is to use Markdown Mail which runs Markdown markup through a Markdown engine an converts it to HTML.

The syntax for links in Markdown is: [text](url), so, for the Markdown Mail action you would need to have the below in your draft:

[Send Jimmy Mail](mailto:jimmyjones@domain.com)

When running the Markdown mail action, that would get converted to the HTML a tag and be a clickable link in the resulting email.

Does that help clarify?

Yes, your clarification works great.

I can’t figure out what I was doing wrong, but, with your help, I will certainly be successful going forward!

1 Like