Grab task-formatted text and paste at selected header

I’ve been doing project / task management in Drafts for awhile and had hacked together a way of moving text to a particular header but it was creaky and required me to manually paste. Now, thanks to the TAD library I was able to build a more automated solution:

My projects are formatted like so:

# Project

# Inbox

- task title
- second task title
    > notes
    > https://www.url.com

# Next Actions

- [ ] task

# Other headers

Put the cursor on the title line of any task, then invoke the action. Will present a menu of headers to choose from (including the ability to type ahead find) and the task will be pasted automatically right under that header. Will work fine with tasks prepended with just a dash, or a dash and the brackets.

3 Likes

@derekvan Is this still working for you?

yep. are you having trouble?

Sorry for my lack of clarity. I meant to ask if you have persisted in using Drafts as a project/task manager? Or did you find that a dedicated task app worked better? I’d like to try using drafts for projects and tasks.

I’m wondering why you’re using > for subtasks. Other than that it looks like you have Markdown as your file format.

Well, I don’t do everything in drafts. Basically, Drafts holds a few Project lists, like reference lists of tasks that are super long and I’m not committed to. Every week I go through those lists, tag a few of them with “#week” and then process. The tagged tasks get sent to Sorted, where I schedule them for the week. Luckily, Sorted is pretty flexible so easy to move things around when the plans don’t match reality.

For this use, Drafts is great. There is a drawback, I have to manually mark items as done in Drafts after I have completed them in Sorted. But this is easy enough during my weekly review.

Those items are notes, not subtasks. I just used that character because it sets off the formatting (to show it’s a note and not a task) and is easy to regex for when moving blocks around.

2 Likes

I’m not the original poster, but I do use Drafts as a task manager, in my case a Bullet Journal type system,. I won’t go into the entire workflow here, it’s something I need to do but haven’t yet, but a couple of things to think about.

Obviously, you won’t get notified about tasks unless you use Reminders or something for that, so remembering to actually look at your task system is really important if you don’t want to lose stuff.

You’ll need to decide how to handle repeating tasks, since that can be a bit tricky. All in all I’ve found the system a lot more manual than a real task app, which in the Bullet Journal universe is actually the point to make you think about how important things are, but it can be tedious too.

As well as this forum, some other resources to look at are people doing this in Obsidian and to a lesser extent, Roam Research.

So, if you wanted to format (and maybe print) you’d just have the automation delete the extra character. Nice!