Drafts as a viable replacement for Pinboard?

Long time Drafts user here and also a Pinboard user. I’ve been looking around and haven’t been able to find anyone talking about this, but I’m considering the possibility that Drafts could be a viable replacement for Pinboard, or at the very least a good backup. Has anyone considered this or does anyone currently use Drafts as a means to store bookmarks with tags?

As a pinboard user, I would never think of using Drafts as a viable replacement, and I’ve used Drafts coming up for 8 years this summer. This is principally because pinboard does what it does and does it very well. Horses for courses etc.

3 Likes

Instead of Pinboard, you might want to try this https://raindrop.io

It does do it well. I’ve just been having a lot of problems with reliability when it comes to Pinboard over the last several months, especially working more on iOS. One of the chief reasons I love Pinboard so much is that the subscription is the business model and so I’m looking around for ways to leverage extensible tools I already use. I have about 40K bookmarks on Pinboard and ever if there was a service I use and would happily pay more for, it’s Pinboard.

Looks nice for sure. The MacStories folx seem to like it a lot. I may have to check it out. Thanks!

FWIW, it’s been fine for me on iOS recently. I use with the Pinner app, though I’m not sure if that is actively supported any longer. I dropped the archive bit a few years ago as I found I very rarely used it.

I just started with Raindrop.io about a month ago and it seems to work well. Have you figured out a good way to share URLs directly from a hotlink to raindrop via Drafts? Sometimes I want to right-click a URL and send it straight to raindrop for reading later, instead of opening the browser, waiting for the page to load, then triggering the browser plug-in, then tagging, etc…

I think you can configure the ‘services menu’ to get the outcome that you want