Drafts and Obsidian - why?

Not mentioned in this informative thread is the fact that Obsidian can be used to create a very powerful Task Management System. Advantages: (1) integrate projects with notes, (2 ) create tasks with instructions and records of accomplishment, (3 ) make use of a very powerful query system, and (4) use the cross-platform capability (including Windows). All of this gives Obsidian options that even the best dedicated Task Managers lack. To borrow a term from the text world, Obsidian makes it possible to create “rich tasks” and “rich projects”.

Because capture is so essential to Task Management, Drafts is a natural partner for Obsidian. Brain-storming projects in Drafts can be done without regard for task formatting. Drafts can automate task formatting just before moving task lists to Obsidian. New projects (starting with a Draft template) can therefore be developed in Drafts that take advantage of “format free planning”. Speed and accuracy are both improved.

An extremely useful capability is provided by the Mustache Prompt Action in the Drafts Directory. You can use it to create “recurring projects” – projects for which all tasks are already scheduled (versus simply listed) at project creation. This technique allows you to create recurring projects – i.e., projects comprised of tasks that can be scheduled using offsets from key event dates. Examples range from Take a Business Trip, Go on Vacation, Release a New Software Version, Onboard a New Hire, Set up a New Client, Stage the Annual School Play, Publish a Quarterly Newsletter, Organize Tax Documents, to Get an Aircraft Carrier Underway – and many more.

This is a technique that David Sparks uses with OmniFocus, taking advantage of the OmniFocus ability to resolve task paper formatting. Drafts can do the same thing for Obsidian. Using Drafts templates and the Mustache Prompt action you can create a new instance of a recurring project that schedules dozens of tasks in a few seconds. Or, create projects that contain recurring elements – a step up from creating projects that start from scratch.

2 Likes

to be honest the mobile app of Obsidian is only acceptable and usable in parts.
I was diving into using Obsidian since the last 6 months trying some different techniques and structures - plugins and and and … (surely the reason why my visits to this forum had nearly faded for this time)

Obsidian comes with some of the same aims than Drafts in the idea of basic functionality and extensibility.

though I want to say that this forum is a much more tranquil place
with more structured comments and really helpful regulars.
the Obsidian Forum is - hence to its size - quite noisy and jumpy in my point of view

What is a really great deal with Obsidian for me: The file-based features and cross-plattfom with Windows and Linux (the two operating systems I am working on during my day-work)

And now for the pro of the mobile app:

It is so nice to have for example an address inside an Obsidian Note and then look it up from your phone.

That would of course work even better on Drafts - IF you are not tied to the non apple operating systems.

@yvonnezed thanks for your great article. I have to second you in telling that Drafts is my top app on iOS - it is improving with every version and all those actions …

1.Drafts is better for capturing on any device and exporting.
2. Obsidian is great for archiving and integrating previous knowledge.

I recommend researching Zettlekasten on YouTube. It will open a whole new world.

This two apps are not competing they are complementary of each other.

Zettlekasten with Obsidian will give you a second brain.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zettlekasten+obsidian

1 Like