Digital Organization and Drafts

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how Drafts has influenced my approach to organizing my digital text and working with it on my own terms.

Workspaces in particular have really helped clarify a thought process for me.

So I wrote a bunch of words about it and posted it online because I didn’t know what else to do with it.

Taxonomy and Drafts

Thanks to @nahumck and @RosemaryOrchard for the inspiration and insight.

6 Likes

nice inspiration and had fun to read this post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really enjoyed this. It also got me thinking about my own use of workspaces. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

This was a fantastic post. Funny and crushingly accurate. Thanks for sharing. :grinning:

1 Like

I really appreciate everyone who read a million words from a rando like me.

I continue to ponder the idea that file cabinets aren’t work spaces yet we often seem to start with that idea when it comes to digital Workspaces.

But no matter how we rank the qualities of our ideal real life work spaces, it seems to me that instantaneous access to every conceivable file we could possibly need isn’t high on the list. But that’s how we conceive our digital work spaces. We start and finish with the file cabinet. We construct piles of files and sit hunched inside a folder because what if we need a specific bullet point we wrote ten weeks ago right this second.

This is where @nahumck’s concept of modules really helps clarify things. Tools available in the right context can make all the difference. Workspaces are ultimate context creators. Other times it doesn’t make a difference at all because maybe three taps to do something is better than one if getting to the Workspace that allowed me to do it in one slowed me down from starting the work. Ultimately we can only do work one draft note at a time no matter where it is. I’ve suffered in the past from not always understanding the power in this.

What this means for me is that I don’t use nearly as many Workspaces as I once did. I wrote about it extensively in the post but the crux is that I can work on anything I want from my key Workspace that really doesn’t apply any filters at all. (I call it Starndard Crappy Office.) I can start a note from there or I can use ad hoc filters and search ad hoc from there if I need to call up a particular draft. And I can see the latest notes I’ve created or worked on easily from there, which is often what I would need to call up anyway. The tools I use most often are there in the form of Action Groups in the keyboard and Action List. This is what makes it a module.

I still tag like a mofo. I still review tags regularly and think about how I deploy them. This isn’t about anarchy. It’s just about not worrying that everything has to be in a compartment all the time.

And then I just think long and hard about any other Workspaces I feel are necessary.

2 Likes

For anyone who needs it - original link is dead. From Wayback Machine: Taxonomy and Drafts

1 Like