If I switch Drafts’ appearance on MacOS from light to dark the search field inverts to white on black as expected:
- the search field shows a magnifier icon and “Search Drafts” in dark grey text;
- text entered in the field appears as white-on-black, and clicking elsewhere slightly dims the text.
If I subsequently close Drafts (close, reboot, etc.) and re-open, the field changes:
- the search field shows no icon, and “Search Drafts” appears in white-on-black with the same intensity that the search text would appear before restarting;
- text entered in the box is the same colour as “Search Drafts” is before restarting (dark grey);
- selecting a draft changes the search text to black and black and it becomes hidden, but clicking in the field shows it in the dark grey again.
Clearing the search field makes “Search Drafts” visible with light text on the dark background, but the icon remains hidden, and any text entered in the field immediately becomes unreadable again. The only indicator that there’s filtering happening is the apparently blank search field.
Toggling the appearance from dark to light and back to dark fixes the problem until the next time Drafts is restarted.