Create Trello Card

I downloaded an action to create a Trello card, but it doesn’t seem to work. I searched this forum for information and I found something about finding the shortlink for the board. I followed that and it still doesn’t work. Has anyone had any luck using Trello from Drafts?

Show us the action, please…

• If it’s a single javascript step include it here.
  • If it’s more complex provide a link to it.

Hard to debug otherwise.

(Yes, I’d like to create a Trello card from Drafts. I already know I can do it from Shortcuts.)

1 Like

if you can use shortcuts to create a card maybe you can just use the shortcuts action step in Drafts to forward the content to shortcuts?
This of course depends if you also want to use the action on the mac.

It’s just a callback URL:

trello://x-callback-url/createCard?shortlink=https://trello.com/b/rWOzjSRs/personal&name=[[title]]&description=[[body]]

Not tested, but at a glance that would not generate a valid URL, because the embedded shortlink URL is not encoded properly. Try:

trello://x-callback-url/createCard?shortlink={{https://trello.com/b/rWOzjSRs/personal}}&name=[[title]]&description=[[body]]

(add the {{ }} tells Drafts to URL encode the value between the braces)

That doesn’t work either. But FlohGroh’s idea of using Shortcuts does work! Unfortunately that won’t work on the Mac, right?

The URL wouldn’t work on the Mac either, I don’t think. It relies on the Trello iOS app.

I’m having the same issue and refuse to give up on getting the URL Scheme working. Trello themselves gives us the code how it should work here: Automate with URL Scheme | Trello | Atlassian Support

Which is trello://x-callback-url/createCard?shortlink={board_shortlink}&name=MyCardName&description=MyCardDescription

I enter the shortlink and replace MyCardName with [[title]] and MyCardDescription with [[body]]. The action opens up Trello and says that it worked, but no new card has been created.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

1. Is it working if you put some simple text into the URL directly? This would confirm that the URL scheme option is indeed working as you expect.
  2. Are you URL encoding your draft content? In the x-callback-url action step there is an option to URL encode tags. If you don’t encode, you can end up with URLs that trigger apps but not all apps report an error and can look like they do nothing.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. I changed the [[title]] to a simple word, but it didn’t work

2. Yes, that button is checked in the action steps. I didn’t know this could cause issues, but it was checked from the beginning.

When I run the action on my iPhone it opens Trello and I see that Trello start to create a card, but then swiftly the phone reverse back to Draft without anything happening. I don’t know if that hints to a solution?

Given that #1 didn’t work, should I interpret this as the URL Scheme not working?

If the Trello app is opening, then immediately returning to Drafts, that means the Trello app is calling the callback to return to Drafts before it finished creating the card - which would be a bug in the Trello app.

I don’t have time to test this myself right this moment, but that certainly sounds like they have a problem in their URL implementation.

1 Like

Thank you! I will contact Trello to ask them to work on this

Update: Trello community acknowledged that they seem to have an issue. The topic is now with their help line to be reviewed (and hopefully fixed).

1 Like

@enivrezvous This still isn’t working. Did you ever get an answer on the Trello side?

The discussion with Trello is still ongoing. Got an answer yesterday which did not solve the issue, so to be continued.