Create todoist project from template

Todoist project from list

This action creates a new project in your todoist account from a template draft.
The template Draft has to be specified by the UUID, copy this from your template list and configure it in the script step of the action.
The action parses this draft and creates a new project where you can configure the name. A prompt will ask you for the name and the action will append a configurable „list-name“.
My current use case is a packing list. The template with all possible things I need to carry to a trip is stored in a Draft.
I divided the packing list with sub-headings for e.g. „Clothing“ with elements for this category.
The action parses each line, sub-headings will become to bold written parent tasks and all tasks below a sub-heading will become child tasks of this sub-heading.
The required format for a draft which can be parsed by this action looks like this:

[any title line]				- this line will be ignored, its just your title for the list
[maybe empty line]				- any empty line in the source draft will be stripped by a regex replacement
## [subheading 1]				- this subheader is the first parent task
- [ ] [item 1 of subheading 1]	- this will be the first subtask of the previous subheading
- [ ] [item x of subheading 1]	- this will be the xth subtask of the previous subheading
[maybe empty line]				- any empty line in the source draft will be stripped by a regex replacement
## [subheading y]				- this subheader is the yth parent task
- [ ] [item 1 of subheading y]	- this will be the first subtask of the subheading y

You can of course use several subheadings to create as many parent tasks with subtasks as you want.
If you dont want to use parent tasks at all, don’t create sub-headings in your draft.

Depending on the amount of items in your list, this action will take some time to run.
This is mainly justified by the limits of todoists REST API where the script is only allowed to perform 50 requests per minute. Therefore I implemented a sleep function which adapts dynamically to the amount of tasks in your list. I integrated a roughly estimated calculation for the process time and the user will see an info message from the app every 5 tasks.

If you have any issues please reach out to me.

Download the Action here

1 Like