Can I Send Drafts from iOS directly to Obsidian iCloud Vault

Hi, I’ve had no success with an action on iOS to send a draft directly to an Obsidian vault. I’ve placed the vault within the Drafts iCloud Drive folder at its root level. I’m using an action by Sean Higgins (Send to Obsidian with Tags | Drafts Directory) that works perfectly on the Mac, but no luck send the draft from iOS. Is this doable?

Presumably if that is to work on iOS, you would need to have the beta iOS app for Obsidian installed, and that is assuming that app supports the specified URal scheme.

If the vault is in the Drafts folder, I would just create a new file be writing a Markdown file directly rather than going via an x-callback-url. That would then work cross-device and not have to route via the Obsidian app.

Hope that helps.

It is working for me. (I do have Obsidian for iOS installed)

Thanks, slyumer. I don’t have access to the iOS beta. If I simply create a file in the Drafts iCloud folder using the standard action, it appears to be one level above the Obsidian vault I’ve created. I guess I need to know how to create a file one level deeper, within the Vault’s folder, if that is possible. Or somehow make the root level of the Drafts iCloud folder a Vault. I don’t know how to do that, or if it is even possible.

Thank you aroddick. I need to look into the beta program. I presume there is a beta installer available and that no special skills are needed to install.

1 Like

At this time you do need to be a catalyst insider (which costs a small fee) for the beta access. But they are very close to opening it up to everyone — it is remarkably polished at this stage.

Assuming whatever action you are using is using the file action step, you would need to set the path parameter to the relative path to your vault.

I have a business license for Obsidian, but that doesn’t give me access to early releases. While I could spend extra to join the supporter levels, my budget simply don’t allow for that at this time.

If you are finding Obsidian useful and are interested in early access, then do consider supporting the devs. Otherwise, like @aroddick noted, it won’t be long before the app surfaces. I saw a note earlier this week that it would probably be in the next few weeks, but there are no guarantees. It is still beta (like the whole app) after all.

If you intend to keep your vault in your Drafts folder, then I would write the file directly rather than using the x-callback-url. It should be faster to write direct.

If you move your vault elsewhere, then the x-callback-url would allow you to add new content with the minimum of effort.

@seanchiggins This action seems simple and it works, but then after 2 times it stops! Then again next day it would work again and stop again. Any ideas why this behavior?

@manuelescolano Do you have the iOS beta of Obsidian installed on your device? There are a few steps and a bit of cost involved, but it definitely works. If you can wait until the official app release, it will be even simpler. Bottom line is I had no luck with this action until the app was on my phone. There may be another way to do it, but that’s beyond my knowledge level.

I have the iOS app installed and I am using paid synch so nothing is in iCloud. My vault is in Files on the phone. How do I send a drafts to the vault? Is someone successfully doing this?

Read the thread from the top and you will see they have and how.

I read entire thread and while there is reference to sending it file, there is no other detail.

I am a relative newcomer to drafts.

I tried the “files” option in the services menu and the drafts are not showing up in my iOS vault. I relabeled to .md and set the path. Not sure what I’m missing.

In the very first post, the OP provides a link to an action to send a draft to Obsidian (you can ignore the reference to iCloud in the post as the action has no reference or requirement to work with an Icloud hosted vault), but that they were having trouble with this on iOS.

It turns out the user did not have the iOS app installed, whereas for a user that did, it worked fine.

The OP then confirms that with the app installed it is working for them.

You note in your first post that you also have the iOS app installed, so I would expect you would just install the referenced action from that first post (follow the link to the action in the action directory and select the option to intsall it) and that’s it.

Thanks @sylumer for walking me through this.

It worked.