Bullet Journaling with Drafts

Cannot self-bullet.

I love it. Thanks, Stephen! I’m definitely going to look into Obsidian more. Right now, I’m using DEVONThink for all my long-term storage, but it would be nice to have something a little lighter and speedier to work with just my .txt and .md docs.

Any idea how you can do this with Roam Research?

Roam Research isn’t based on local files, so writing to files isn’t possible. It also does not have a web API (yet), so an approach like the one I’ve used for GitHub also isn’t possible. Roam Research simply isn’t particularly automation friendly right now.

But there are actions in the action directory intended to help Drafts use with Roam Research, but they aren’t geared towards getting the content in through automation.

However, there is a helper tool which effectively creates a local interface that you should be able to run on a Mac (not i*OS) and use (via Puppeteer) to control Chrome to work with Roam Research.

You should then be able to interface with that locally hosted tool from Drafts to interact with your cloud hosted Roam Research instance directly via a Chrome browser.

But this will leave you a bit stuck on mobile devices, unless you say have an always on Mac that you can trigger from the mobile device to carry out your automated interactions on the mobile device’s behalf.

1 Like

This seems to work, just that I want to test it for a few more days. If there are any mire issues, I’ll be back with more questions! Thanks a ton for the help.

Last point, when I migrate to Day One the header gets stripped off. How can I correct that part?

That was for @sylumer

There are some big gaps around that question!

1. How are you ‘migrating’ to Day One?
  2. Can you show us an example of the original content, the migrated content and, if it varies to the original, what you expect the final content to look like.

The action Bullet Journal has a sub action - Migrate. So, I just invoke that

Okay, so there’s a bullet journal action group above, which looks to contain a “Migrate Journal Items” action. Presumably this is what you mean.

Looking at its description only…

Process each line of the draft. By the default settings file:

• Lines starting with “-“ are collected and sent to Day One as a journal entry.
  • Lines starting with “- ” are sent to Things’s Inbox.
  • Lines starting with “@“ are sent to Fantastical.

Everything else is ignored.

Based on the works of Kirk Strauser and inspired by his craftsmanship.

That indicates that the action is only designed to pick up lines starting with a hyphen for Day One. Markdown headings start with an octothorpe.

That would be why you don’t get a heading copied across.

Thanks a ton, you’ve been very helpful as always.

@ianlhayes ianlhayes

Is there some way I can get entries in specific Journals inside the Day One app?

I dont understand if one has to be sticked to the chosen apps (dayOne, Things, Fantastical); for instance could I send both Events and Tasks to Fantastical? and notes to Aoole Notes or nvAlt?

thanks

Destinations can be anything supported, but you have to create the action functionality to do it. The action discussed above is processing content, but the “Migrate Journal Items” is specifically configured as per its description.

Yes, but you would have to build an action to take in the content and process them in the correct way.

You could also look in the action directory and across the forum for actions that might suit your specific needs. There have been a number of similar actions for processing individual lines in notes over the last few years.

If you wish to generally process lines in a draft, I might also recommend the TA_processLinesFunctionRetain() function in TADpoLe. It can simplify some of the processing.

Apple notes is a bit special, and if you search the forum, you can find all sorts of information about the limitations of generating Apple Notes from Drafts.

nvAlt is working with files in a folder. Drafts can export to file, but you may need to work around sandboxing.

You could use something like this on a Mac:

On iOS, I would suggest using a call out to Scriptable, or to Shortcuts utilising Toolbox Pro, as both Scriptable and Toolbox Pro support folder bookmarking which can allow you to punch through the sandboxing restrictions.

In summary, you can do all the things you want, but the actions as they stand do not do what you want, you would need to modify them to suit your own purposes.

1 Like

very clear, thanks!
…but AFAIK I can change the embedded actions to send my text snippet to another app; for instance how can I change the Task script (I still refer to Bullett Journal Group) to send my text to Fantastical instead of Things…?

Thanks

How are your JavaScripting skills?

As noted above, you need to tailor the actions if you want to do something different. These rely on scripting. There are lots of examples of working with Fantastical in the Action directory and this forum.

This looks pretty fantastic!! Can’t wait to try it out.

1 Like

There is, although it does require a small modification to the “Migrate Journal Items” action. If you look toward the bottom of the last script in that action, you’ll find this block:

// Some actions are processed in a batch after all their entries
// are collected. This is where that happens.

if (dayOneLines.length) {
	var body = dayOneLines.join("\n\n");
	var cb = CallbackURL.create();
	cb.baseURL = dayoneURL;
	cb.addParameter("entry", body);
	cb.addParameter("tags", tags);
	cb.waitForResponse = false;
	cb.open();
}

To get the action to migrate to a specific journal, simply add this line cb.addParameter(“journal”, “NAMEOFJOURNAL”); before cb.waitForReponse = false; where “NAMEOFJOURNAL” is the name of the journal in Day One where you want your entires to go.

@amelchi If you wanted to send your tasks to Fantastical, you can simply modify the draft “# Quick Journaling Settings” to reflect that. If you change

@ Fantastical
* Things
- Day One

to

@ Fantastical
* Fantastical
- Day One

it should do what you want it to. At the moment, I don’t know how to support Apple Notes or nvAlt with this action, but @sylumer has some great suggestions (as always).

Lastly, @Jaipal_Singh, I’m uploading a new version of the action group with support for Todoist! Just make sure to modify the “# Quick Journaling Settings” draft to reflect your preferences.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was helpful. Last question, how can I get the header into the Day One app? Like ‘Saturday, 30 January 2021’, at the top of my Day One entry.

Drafts only collects lines that start with - for Day One, so if you want to include the top line, simply put a hyphen at the beginning. If you want to modify that header for every future journal entry, you’ll just need to add the hyphen to the var bjTitle line at the beginning of both the “Append to Today’s Journal” and “Go to Today’s Journal” actions so that it reads var bjTitle = “- # Journal for “ + ds;

1 Like

That was useful. Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

He migrate journal to the Day One app has stopped working. Any issues or changes that I’m required to make, since here was a new drafts version yesterday