Automatically send to Omnifocus

Hello, I’m interested in the fastest and easiest on-the-go capture method. Drafts’ dictation looks pretty nice, but I’d like it to automatically send my note to omnifocus, rather than requiring I click a few things to do so every time (via actions menu). If I’m on the go, or half asleep, the extra clicks make a big difference.

Is this possible? I’ve researched it, and researched iOS shortcuts too, but there doesn’t seem to be a way :confused:

Drafts does not have any scheduling to achieve this automatically.

I would think you could cobble something together with Shortcuts and Drafts.

Shortcuts allows for scheduled automations. You could have it run a Drafts action that sends a specific Draft, or all Drafts matching certain criteria, to OmniFocus.

Give it a shot and if you run into specific issues, ask for help.

To add to the colleges:

Omnifocus heavily depends on taskpaper which is hard to dictate.

Surely there is a way around it.

I use drafts as my inbox so the automation would be not necessary because you process the stuff during a review.

Thanks, I’ve got it working. Here’s my shortcut in case anyone else is interested (thanks to the Drafts example from docs):

The trickiest part was getting those “repeat item” magic variables in there. The iOS shortcuts interface can be pretty confusing! And I’m a software dev…

I then created an automation on the trigger When “Drafts” is closed that runs the action “Run shortcut” specifying this shortcut.

As a result, as soon as I finish my note and go back to hole screen, it pushes it to my omnifocus inbox.

My favourite part is I use iOS accessibility settings to make it so that triple tapping the back of my phone opens up a dictation note!

1 Like

Ah, shoot, just realised I can’t use “hey Siri” with this unless my iPhone is already unlocked. The goal is for when I’m not holding my phone :confused: is it possible to allow the shortcut to run whilst my phone is locked?

1 Like

If you are dictating to trigger an action to send to Omnifocus with the phone locked, that’s quite prescriptive. Maybe just use Omnifocus’ Siri integration in that circumstance.

https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/ios/3.8.1/en/interacting-with-siri/#interacting-with-siri

Drafts is probably best used when you don’t know where to send it rather than just being a constant relay to the same location; which it seems it would be for a dictation like this.

1 Like