Appendd to a GDRive .txt file causes in deleting all content


#1

Hi All,

I have a .txt file in Gdrive where I want to append lines from D5. I’ve created 1 action screenshot below.

If I run this action within a space of hours, the Draft is appended; However, if I run say a day later or a week or a month, it just replaces the whole .txt content with the draft (as opposed to append).

I’ve checked all the settings and I cannot find anything wrong. Have re-created the action and the result is the same.

Any thoughts?

(Btw, I’m on the D5 beta version)


#2

The fact that it isa threshold & time based variation of behaviour suggests that Drafts is not receiving data back for the append after a period of time.

A few starting questions then.

  1. Does the version history on the file give any insight into what is happening?
  2. Does any other app on any device access the file periodically (automated) or through your action?
  3. Have you tested this in another folder with a different file name?
  4. How long has this been an issue for you, and, based on that, has it ever worked consistently?

#3

Hi and thanks for your reply!

  • Does the version history on the file give any insight into what is happening?

The version history in Gdrive shows the file being “replaced” (I can see previous versions that contain older draft notes. In Drafts, the message I get is “action completed”

  • Does any other app on any device access the file periodically (automated) or through your action?

Nope

  • Have you tested this in another folder with a different file name?

Will do tomorrow

  • How long has this been an issue for you, and, based on that, has it ever worked consistently?

I imported a D4 action just like this one. However, some months ago I had to create a new file and changed the filename in the actions. I started to get this issues since.


#4

I had one other report like this about 6 months ago and was never able to reproduce it. I’ll play around with it some more. Any possibility it’s specific to some content added to the file? Special characters or something?


#5

This file is a very simple file and the line to be added is:

15/01/2019; 12345; 12345

(The date is typed in using a TE snippet).

However, I found the same to happen even if the draft is something like

Test

I’ll try using a file in a folder and not in the gdrive root


#6

Ok. I’ve setup a sample action for testing and a reminder to run it once a week in the debugger and see if I can catch this happening and figure out what’s going on.


#7

Thanks Greg.

So if it helps, I’ve tried @sylumer’s suggestion of using a different folder, and I’m getting the same result.

I’m on the v 5.5.2.10

Let me know if there’s any additional info you need from me


#8

From what you’ve said, it does seem to point towards it being something in Drafts. It’s the only consistent point.