Accessing "Search Available Tags" via Keyboard, Script, or Workspace

At the bottom of the tags pane, there’s a “Search available tags” field that lets you narrow down your list of tags or find a specific one. I can’t seem to find a way to access this without tapping or clicking. Is there:

• A keyboard shortcut for focusing it?
  • A scriptable way of focusing it?
  • A way to use Workspaces to pre-fill it?

Long short, I’d like to be able to find a specific tag—particularly on Desktop—without a lot of clicking around. A keyboard shortcut would be great. Setting that field via a Workspace would also work really, really well, allowing me to only show tags that fit certain criteria that I can then interact with in the regular way.

one question what do you plan to do with the found tags.

• apply them to the search
  • apply it to the draft
  • modify the tag
1 Like

Apologies, this one got away from me. I think using a combination of Keyboard Maestro (or, in my case, setting up something in Alfred) to select the search field above the draft list and then hop backwards to the search tags field is going to be the best bet.

Thanks for the help!

I am stuck with this.

I know of a programatic way either to select tags from a prompt or to set the with a text list. This could even be combined with a command like interface (mostly powered by the TADpoLe Action Group/Library).

You could add a keyboard shortcut to the action to trigger it.

But:

• e.g. a dialog will force you to click on the items.

The second problem with the scripting is, that the only way I know of an interactive prompt is to display a html preview with a filter field, hence the Prompt has no update function as far as I can see it.

The navigation in the macOS Drafts app to the filter field could be managed with a not so nice process - but you may improve this with a Keyboard Maestro macro.

#. Cmd + Shift + F brings you to the search field above the draft list
#. Shift + Tab brings you into the Search Tags in the Filter bar (most left)

NOTE:
Alt + Cmd + T hides and shows the Filter Bar

If you have put the cursor into the field, you can interactively filter for tags but to select a tag a click is still necessary

As far as I can see, tags are also evaluated in the default search field.

Are your tag searches highly flexible or mostly fixed? A workspace is in fact a set of filtered Drafts.

So I am either on the wrong path of what you want to achieve OR it is not really possible

I think a more seasoned Drafts user that I might have a trick for that.

1 Like

Apologies, this one got away from me. I think using a combination of Keyboard Maestro (or, in my case, setting up something in Alfred) to select the search field above the draft list and then hop backwards to the search tags field is going to be the best bet.

Thanks for the help!

all fine. this is the right place to ask any question.

I totally get the why of your question.
great that you find a workable solution.

your question got me investigating and I found a interesting way to generate a prompt with reevaluating input (filtering for tags).
it will not solve your problem but I love the new angle of this

For anyone who stumbles across this in the future, the series of keyboard shortcuts discussed above no longer work on macOS. To focus the “Search tags” field, I ended up creating a macro in Keyboard Maestro that fires cmd + t, shift + tab, and shift + tab again.

• cmd + t focuses the tag entry field
  • shift + tab focuses the tag filters list
  • shift + tab focuses the search tags field

It would be nice if focusing that field was exposed in the “Edit → Find” submenu (even if it didn’t have a default keyboard shortcut assigned, you could assign one in System Preferences or using an app like Keyboard Maestro), but for the time being, this will work.