Workspace Specific New Draft Settings

Thanks for the insights everyone’s posting. It’s great to see that interest in this isn’t mine alone. Just to pick up on a few of the points above…

I had considered that initially. Hoestly that would give the most scope, and I would certainly be happy with that approach.

The first reason I didn’t suggest that originally was that I couldn’t think of a case where the action wouldn’t be focussed on the creation of the initial draft from no content; in which case templates seemed to cover the vast majority of likely content creation scenarios I could think of; though others could have scenarios templating (and within them tags) would cover.

The second, mainly informed by the first, was that I figured it would be more accessible to a typical Drafts user. But this is just a gut feel on my part based on what I see posted in the forum and on Twitter, and I could be wrong about that.

Just to highlight that this external template came to mind simply because it is an existing feature in Drafts. Again I think having external templates is more powerful, but the extra hoops to jump through in creating and maintaining such templates is perhaps a nudge further than some Drafts users might expect to tackle.

Unfortunately tying it to a keyboard shortcut works only when you are using a keyboard. Most iPhone users for example wouldn’t have the device attached to an external keyboard when using it. I suspect the majority of iPad users also don’t use an external keyboard. My expectation would be that such users would simply use the standard new draft button (“+”), which is why I suggested tying the behaviour to the draft creation process rather than a particular action.

As it happens, you do seem to be able to extend CMD+N to trigger an action after draft creation. :wink:

Well that assumes it will exist in the near future. Anyone who wants that should probably post some support to the thread @martinpacker created: