What are some of the best actions/tips for getting a new Drafts user to start regularly relying on the app?

It sounds like you’re happy with your notes app(s) situation and that the share sheet takes care of your needs within them. I’d say count your blessings and don’t look back. No new light needs to be seen. :wink:

But clearly if you’ve poked around these forums you can see the mind bending things people are doing with actions. Things that only Drafts makes possible that are clearly beyond the scope of the share sheet. Actions aren’t solutions to problems that don’t exist, they are tools to create personalized workflows that don’t exist. Lots of people find value in that. But again, it’s totally fine if that doesn’t mean anything to you.

I actually use Drafts as my notes app and not as just a starting point. I keep notes in Drafts. It’s my favorite notes app by far and I’ve tried most of them. I like that it can be both the simplest possible notes app and the most sophisticated depending on what I need in the moment. But I’m not an Action wizard. I use a core group of them that suit my needs and stay up to date with what others are doing/creating in case it might make sense for me to adopt.

1 Like

I try all sorts of notes apps - Evernote, Bear, Notion, Apple Notes - I love to tinker with them and try new ones out to see what they can do and can’t do. Am really liking Notion but that is an ‘early read’.

I have heard great things about Drafts and am very intrigued however I have just struggled with it as I’ve tried to use it here and there. I’m a person who writes emails in the email app, writes my notes in a notes app, etc. - nothing too crazy. I dip my toes into automation.

I joined this forum/community to, as you said, poke around and try to figure out how to take advantage of it’s clearly powerful feature set. I’ll read around more forums within the site to try to learn more. And maybe something will start to click as use it more and more.

1 Like

People use it in a lot of different ways, but the core concept of Drafts is that you don’t need to dig around in all those apps. You may still use them, but when you have any text you want to jot down, you just start in Drafts. Put it in your dock, open it, type. No need to make upfront decisions about what that text is for, or where it belongs. Maybe it becomes a note, maybe a tweet, maybe an iMessage or an email - doesn’t matter.

It removes a lot of friction and upfront decision making. Maybe you have that middle of the night idea you just don’t want to forgot, maybe your on the subway commuting and just want to jot down a task for later. Having one trusted capture location makes it easy to brain dump those things and deal with them later. If you are familiar with GTD, that capture component is what Drafts is for most users.

It removes all the “which app should this go in?”, “what folder should I put it in?”, “what should I name this file?” kind of friction as well.

That may not be for you, but that is the core concept that tends to distinguish the app.

4 Likes

This is a great description. I get this and it makes sense. I’ll approach it with this mind set.