Question regarding TADpooLe

As per the details you quoted, yes that is the default, and no, there is more to it than that specifically because it is user overridable and by understanding the functions of that class, you’ll understand what the settings do, not simply where they happen to be by default.

Yes. If you don’t chaneg anything, all defaults will be in effect.

It will remove the files installed to and created in that folder…

… no. It means that next time you try to run one of those action it will put them back in place. So yes, the files added would be removed if you removed them, but running an action would put them back, because that’s part of what the TAD action does. It goes and looks for new versions and if you have no version, then it will look for the latest one availabel and get it.

Please note that other content may also be put in that file location. If you delete everything, it is always entirely possible you might be removing things that other actions rely on and implement in a different way.

You were saying that some of the actions use URLs that

The descriptions describe the actions. The actions utilise the URLs. You can’t always “describe” a URL, but you can always describe the overall functionality of the action.

If you have a specific example, then I could probably provide specific details on that if they happen to be missing in some way. But, in order to do that, you need to provide those details.

No, that would not be true in all cases; only some cases. If it was the settings file for example, a new file with default settings would simply be created. If it was a file containing meta-data for a draft, that would fail as that is not created by default when attempting to be read. Again, it comes down to the specifics.

That’s not a problem. There’s always a balance between security and convenience. Your position is simply a parallel to that. I actually don’t have a massive number of other people’s actions. I have the standard action groups and a selection from some of the more prominent members and the rest are all my own. I usually find rolling my own solution allows me to tailor it, and I only have myself to blame if it doesn’t work as I’d intended. But, there are some actions that others have created that I’ve taken a look through, and are so useful to me that I’ve chosen to keep them rather than roll my own just for the sake of it.

People can take a peek if they like...

The names of the groups are slightly different as I’ve tagged them with icons for the different people who created them.

2022-08-07-17.27.22

But, there are lots of great actions out there that I don’t need, so I’m sure there are many, many others that other people simply couldn’t get by without.

However, given that clear position of currently irreconcilable doubt, I would say that you should remove any files for /Library/Scripts/tad* and delete the Thoughtasylum action groups. To get to the level of comfort you are seeking, being able to review and fully comprehend all of the code and actions (just as it is today) for these actions and the library, will probably take you many months of concerted effort.

Remember, you can always grab the latest tad.js file direct from the website and open it from your Downlaods folder into your favourite text file editor (not Drafts) without executing anything in Drafts. But, having the core action group in place sounds like it is something you would not be able to reconcile with your position at this time as you could inadevrtently run an action if it were similarly named to one you had created yourself.

Once you have understood the JavaScript in the library file, then install the action groups and review what they do. Not all at once, but start with the core group and work your way out.

By taking that approach, you should remain knowledgable and safe and be confident doing so.

Of course, in the meantime there’s still lots of fun and learning to be had…

There are many simpler actions and action groups you could learn about and take advantage of. My groups are generally quite large and not necessarily complex, but let’s say “quite involved”. Examining that scale and depth is something that you should save for later, but there’s palmost certainly even more stuff out there that really isn’t.

Consider exploring the standard action groups first, then extending to single, stand-alone actions in the directory that are of interest to you. This will allow you to build up your skills and understanding in a way that isn’t going to require as much up front investment of time.

I hope that makes sense and gives you a path you’ll be more comfortable with.