Question concerning the open Drafts Siri shortcut

Now I understand. I wrote the two little attached shortcuts to so that I better understand the difference between variables and magic variables.

I purchased and I am presently doing the David Sparks course on Shortcuts. At the beginning of the course, he emphasizes the importance of giving variables unique names but later goes on to say that the whole issue is made obsolete by using magic variables.

May I ask if you have any classification system or trick to manage a large number of Shortcuts.

Thanks very much for your post in time

I use naming conventions, but I’m probably about to redo my conventions and Shortcuts in general as I’m well over 1100 Shortcuts now and I need to have a clean through and organise things better.

Maybe this discussion on the Automators forum will give you some ideas of what you could try?

1 Like

1100 !!! I fell off my chair
I am not that happy with the Reddit. Too many strong assertions which turn out to be false.
I will try the automator forum andCertainly check out the link you recommend
Thank you again

I only knew that off the top of my head as I’d actually tweeted about it yesterday morning.

I’m definitely an edge case, but just like Drafts actions, I’d definitely encourage people to come up with a system for managing things as early as possible.

Drafts’ groups and search are pretty good, but I’m still amazed Shortcuts is so limited with just a search. I know many people use them, but for me, Colours and glyphs only become useful when you can trim down to a sub set, and I always quickly get to a point where those sorts of things alone don’t really trim things enough.

https://twitter.com/sylumer/status/1182944098212352000

3 Likes

Thank you for the reference to your Twitter site. There are interesting ideas and I will make sure to have a look from time to time.

I don’t have a Twitter account and therefore cannot subscribe per se.

A while back, you kindly wrote a draft action to process a translation software called deepl And it works perfectly. I have been spending a few days trying to figure out why your method cannot be applied to Shortcuts. The shortcuts version crashes. I know that this question does not directly apply to drafts but it does indirectly in comparing scripting with Drafts with shortcuts. Thank you

The shortcut input would need to be URL encoded text with how you have presented it in the screenshot. I would guess that is not always the case and could be a reason it has crashed for you.

1 Like