Outline Apps? Still needed?

OmniOutliner is not a subscription app.

No?!?

That pretty much looks like subscriptions.
Going to have a closed look, thanks!

Apple should maybe write that more concrete…

Huh? It’s asking for a single payment to upgrade.

Yes, it seems so.
But that list of different prices looked like a subscription model to me.
My fault :grin:

I do use OmniOutliner and have for years. I’ve been using Drafts for some of the same things lately.

I would love to be able to collapse the headers in Drafts.

Downloaded it and testing the regular version.

But of course, collapsing stuff “text folding” is a PRO feature :expressionless:

And this 44 Euro instead of 11 Euro … that’s too much in my book.

Sooooo, please add this to Drafts :grinning:

Folding text is already in the feature request list in relation to Markdown headers. I’d suggest adding an entry to it for asking for use with outline lists too.

You are saying that collapsing sections in OmniOutliner is a pro feature?

I can’t test it because I have pro, but that’s a pretty standard outlining feature to lock away for pro users only.

Hello comfortablynick,
it seems so:

Reading that again, it looks like it is not available on iOS at all!

I’m confused…

Not to dwell on the product too much, but I don’t think that it is a Pro feature.

As I understand it, Disclosure rows available in Essentials is probably what we all think of in terms of expanding and collapsing an outline. I think it may also be in the free reader. Sidebar Sections is in Pro and may be what has caused the confusion.

If you watch the app video on the app store page you’ll see the first thing they do is uncollapse some rows, so definitely in there. Later in the video they demo the side bar sections functionality.

Yes, I reinstalled and tested this - it definitely is in the normal version.

But what is meant with “Text Folding”?
I don’t think that this is the sidebar thingy.

Googling for “text folding omnioutliner” gave me this…

Ah.
Thanks.

I even downloaded the manual and searched for “folding” - to no avail :smile:

Anyway, i like it!

I think, even better than Cloud Outliner Pro, my current favorite.

Outlinely looks good, but finally did not click enough for me (and also is a subscription for more features like OPML export) …

I am going to buy OmniOutliner, it seems to be the best of the lot.

Hi, I’m a new user of Drafts 5.
I’m not nearly as technical as Drafts 5 allows, but I hope to learn more with time.

To answer your questions, I also use Cloud Outliner Pro. I’ve needed an outliner since first having one, about 20 years ago.

I may be premature in answering this, but I don’t think Drafts (or any other app) could serve as a replacement for an outliner, at least in my case, where the outliner is used heavily throughout the day, and Drafts has the benefit of being a quiet place to write.

I use Drafts specifically for drafting & sending emails & texts on a black background, without being distracted by the sight of my email inbox, a to do list or notes. I’ve noticed that when I use Drafts, I have much less editing to do when I’m ready to send, than when writing in my outliner, journal or notes apps.

The colored text in COP is helpful for me, but lack of image support calls for a separate notes app & no url scheme integration causes me to wander & occasionally, stray.

Hello Sarah,
interesting reply!

Have a look at OmniOutliner!

I think that the Essentials version is already better than Cloud Outliner Pro.
And the Pro version also supports images!
You can test both for 14 days.

Which Notes app do you use?
I am split between Notes, Notability, ZoomNotes and Notes Plus, but tested many more.

About mail … how do you handle that with Drafts?

Most of the time, I am replying to an existing thread, so just sending a mail from Drafts does not work. I would first need to copy what is visible in the mail after hitting „Reply“ to get the quotes and everything, then paste in Drafts, write my stuff and then copy and paste this back into Mail.

Just selecting the text in mail and sharing to Drafts does also not work, as Drafts seems to remove the quotation signs. Strange.

So, Drafts is no solution for me for email.
Or are there any tricks and workarounds that help in this?

Hi tja,
I’m sorry, don’t mean to disappoint. Like I said, Drafts is very new to me. (I’ve only just set up my menu options in prefs.)

You’re right, I can only avoid my inbox by initiating emails in & sending from Drafts.

I still use Drafts to reply, either by:
-using the copy button on the Drafts keyboard, opening the email & pasting my reply,
or
-if I’m replying to a friend, I paste the original in Drafts, and reply paragraph by paragraph. Copy, paste as a reply then format the text I’ve added (so it looks different than theirs) & send.

I find it difficult to reply to forum threads online while on my iPhone, so most of this reply was written in Drafts. It’s also good for journal entries, because of it’s nice black background; I wouldn’t use it, otherwise.

I’m sure most Drafts users are far more advanced in their usage, but like you, I enjoy trying out lots of different apps & learning their finer points. I get caught between apps too, like you are with notes.

I might give Omni Outliner a try, thanks!

Ah, yes. I have my own problems with those modern, interactive, dynamic forums, if it’s that.
Going to try this with Drafts too.

About dark themes, lots of editors support this already!

Have fun :wink: