New App: Simple Scan

Ooh @agiletortoise i literally came here today to ask people what their Drafts-equivalent workflows were for images/scans. This is a dream! IF the app could store your images/scans in an inbox for later processing (a la Drafts!) that would be AMAZING! But obviously that’s a significant design decision you may want to eschew. I’m just saying… thanks for the new app :pray:

This is why I said in the Slack channel that automation - likely Shortcuts - where Simple Scan could pass an image on would have a lot of promise.

You can setup custom file destinations. Not sure what you are looking for in terms of a workflow, but you can just create a “Scans” folder in iCloud Drive, and have Simple Scan route all scans to that folder for you to process later…possibly using several destinations that target that same folder with different file naming options to assist with routing - either with an automation tool, like Hazel on the Mac, watching that folder, or manually.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. Simplescan has become my second favourite app, the first one being Drafts.

1 Like

Is the lifetime or annual no longer available? When I look to upgrade all I see is the monthly option.

1 Like

The lifetime unlock is not a subscription, so you cannot change between those levels in the App Store app if you are subscribed. Just cancel your active subscription, and once it expires you will be able to re-purchase in the app with the lifetime option.

1 Like

Hi, @agiletortoise. On the website, I see this:

PDF’s are searchable thanks to the automatic Optical Character Recognition (OCR)

Does automatic refer to the built-in capability supplied by Apple? Or is the OCR something different?

I’m trying to understand what Simple Scan provides above and beyond the scanning built into Apple Notes or within the Shortcuts actions supplied by Actions. Is it the capability to direct the scans to predefined destinations? Thanks in advance!

Not sure how technical an answer you are looking for here…the primary purpose of Simple Scan is to provide better routing options that let you scan without having to create unwanted notes in the Notes app, or deal with the Files app - really at all.

The scanning APIs from Apple do not do OCR, but the app uses other Apple APIs to do text recognition - the same ones Drafts uses to import text from images. I imagine these are the same APIs used by Notes.

1 Like

Thanks, you provided exactly the information I was seeking. Also, I see with Versions 2 and 3 that you have added some nice enhancement while maintaining the clean design.