macOS "send to drafts" service failing in Big Sur 11.0.1

I’ve just been having problems with the “send to drafts” service, which has been working fine before Big Sur. Using the latest version of macOS Drafts, 24.1.10.

1. Select text, in any application.
  2. Right-click > Services > Send to Drafts
  3. The application you are in at the time freezes for a while. The text doesn’t appear in Drafts.

I’ve been researching this issue. I was able to reproduce on one of my machines and was able to resolve it by resetting my Drafts installation. Seems likely it’s a permissions issue of some sort, likely due to some odd installation issue with the App Store.

To reset your install:

• Run off a Backup in Drafts Preferences > Backup, just to be safe (See: https://docs.getdrafts.com/docs/settings/backups)
  • Quit Drafts
  • In the Finder, delete the folder at ~/Library/Group Containers/GTFQ98J4YG.com.agiletortoise.Drafts
  • In the Finder, delete the folder at ~/Library/Containers/com.agiletortoise.Drafts-OSX
  • Relaunch Drafts - let data re-sync from iCloud (may take a minute if you have a lot of history in Drafts.

Let me know if that resolves!

Thanks for checking that out - I did get it working but in a roundabout way.

• I couldn’t run a backup as clicking on the Backups icon in the preferences window doesn’t change anything for me (actually none of them are selectable, just the General pane) but I went ahead anyway.
  • Quit Drafts.
  • Deleted the ~/Library/Group Containers/GTFQ98J4YG.com.agiletortoise.Drafts folder fine - there was also a Drafts-Dev one which I left alone.
  • Could not see any folder ~/Library/Containers/com.agiletortoise.Drafts-OSX in the Finder at all. However, when I went in the Terminal and checked, there were quite a few folders with “agiletortoise” in them, so I moved them all out.

When I restarted Drafts, it didn’t initially sync anything from iCloud, but when I went to the preference window - which now had all tabs available - then clicked iCloud > Reset Sync State, everything appeared again. The service seems to be working fine now as well.