How to access actions quickly by keyboard shortcut?

Hi, I am on macOS and running the latest version of Drafts. Can I trigger an action from a command palette by keyboard somehow? E.g. ⌘⇧P → select action?

Regards, Chris

3 Likes
  • There is no command palette in Drafts.
  • You can use OPTION + CMD + L to place the focus in the action list search box, trigger the search, press tab and then arrow key to the desired action and press return.
  • You can add a specific keyboard shortcut to each action you wish to trigger.
  • You could create an action that gives you a web pop up and then build a type ahead field to trigger the action.
1 Like

You can also use quick search. Open it with ⌘-⇧-F and start typing. It searches actions, workspaces, and drafts.

6 Likes

How do you - from a keyboard - dismiss such a search dialog?

On iPad with Magic Keyboard there is no Esc key, for example. Cmd+W doesn’t do it - but then it was a long shot anyway.

The standard way to type ESC on an iPad keyboard is cmd-..

Personally, I also remap the CAPS LOCK key to escape (which can be done in iPadOS Settings).

2 Likes

Thanks, I haven’t been aware of this functionality.

Chris

Thanks for the overview.

You can use OPTION + CMD + L to place the focus in the action list search box, trigger the search, press tab and then arrow key to the desired action and press return.

I can’t access the actions by arrow key down/up, I can only cycle through different groups of action by arrow key right/left.

Chris

When I tested it earlier today on the Mac, I can trigger the search, fill in the search, tab into the filtered list and navigate up and down the list of results using the vertical arrow keys, then press return to trigger the action.

1 Like

Just want to make sure someone points out that ⌘ + 0 will dismiss an Action Search (right sidebar) and ⌘ + 1 will dismiss a Drafts Search (left sidebar.)

These two apply on all platforms.

Isn’t that hiding the entire drafts and actions panels rather than just dismissing a search?

1 Like

You’re right… I guess they’re one in the same in my psyche lol. I’d used Drafts for most of my adult life exclusively on iPhone up until this year hehe.

This is what I was searching for. So for whoever comes along next:

Right click on the action to edit it. In the left column there’s a keyboard shortcut section.