Extending use case for Add to list plus

I have a bunch of project notes, and each one has a task list. I thought I could use this action — Add to list plus — as is, to add a new task to any of the existing projects. The way I read the explanation, the action uses a tag to identify the list of possible places to append/prepend.

But that does not seem to be exactly what it does. It seems like I have to create a list from within this action for the list to be available. Can anyone explain this?

My projects will change from month to month as new ones are added, and old ones completed. So the idea of using a tag to identify which notes can be recipients of a new task is appealing.

Always useful to post a link to the action in a case there are multiple of similar names.

Yes. Any draft tagged “lists” based on the default configuration.

Yes. The action created new drafts tagged with “lists”. The name of the list is taken from the title of that draft (a level 2 Markdown heading).

You could modify it to work with tags instead of titles, but you would still have one draft per list to ensure that each list is uniquely referencable. What would be the benefit for your use case of switching from a draft title as the unique identifier to a tag?

Every project is tagged ‘proj list ’, so I changed the tag in the script, const listTag = ‘projlist’;

I assumed the script would pick up all notes with that tag, but it does not find pre-existing notes, only notes created from within the action.

I am learning scripting slowly. Would it be possible to change this action to add all notes with a certain tag to the prompt? Can you point me toward an approach? Also, I only want to reference the Inbox. That is the only place I keep active notes.

Also, thanks for pointing out that I should include the link. I should have thought of that myself.

What you have written is not equal. If you have set the list tag to “projlist”, but your notes are tagged “proj list”, i.e. with a space in it. They are different strings of text. They do not match and might well explain why your drafts are not being found.

In the second script step there is a line towards the top that defines an array for which folders to search in.

return ["inbox", "flagged", "archive"]

Remove the non-inbox entries and they should no longer get searched.

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the tag ‘proj list’ my email was wrong, but my script was correct.

I really appreciate your help, and I am still trying to figure this out. But I am stuck.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the Action List Plus Add to list plus | Drafts Directory. I did not change it at all. I created 2 new notes tagged ‘lists’. I created a test note, and executed the document. The action did not find either of the 2 lists I created.

Isn’t that what it claims to do? I must be misunderstanding it.

Not my script, so can’t comment on the reasoning (@dchar?), but the way this version of the script is written, to be considered a “list draft” and included in the options, the draft has to:

1. Be tagged lists
  2. Start with a Markdown level 2 heading in the first line (like: ## Title)

Not sure if that is intentional, but it works find if you allow the action to create the lists for you so they match the required formatting, rather than trying to create your own lists.

Aha, Thank you! You said that before, but I didn’t pick up on it.

@agiletortoise The action is based upon your original “Add To List” which I think has both of the same requirements. It uses the “list” tag and a category name that starts with ‘##’. I was never sure why you used a level 2 heading but I went for compatibility since I started by using your action.

I’m not clear why op would want a tag to identify a list rather that the draft title (first line). The only issue I see is that it uses a level 2 header and not a level 1.

@Rolfess

I’m assuming each of your projlist drafts starts with the project title on the first line. What if the script relaxed the requirement to start with ‘##’? Would that help your case? It still seems like each draft needs a title to identify which list you want.

This is all very helpful, thanks. I don’t know why I didn’t notice the second level header requirement, I just was not paying attention. I’ve changed the action to look for a first order header (#), and it works perfectly.

1 Like

I will also adjust it to only look in the inbox. That way projects that are completed and moved to the archive will be ignored.

It’s an excellent, functional action now that I understand it!! Thanks.

1 Like

That makes sense. I forgot the original example used that formatting.

I made a few minor changes to easy configuration of the action based upon recent feedback.

V2021.09.13

• Allow level 1 (#) or level 2 (##) category headings for list drafts.

• Add option to configure the markdown header level of newly created lists.

• Add option to configure the workspace tabs to search for lists.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you! This is a very useful Action.